Thursday, January 21, 2010

Healthy White Sauce

Ever wish you had a white sauce ... but you're plum out of luck?  Or, are you looking for a healthy alternative to regular Alfredo sauce?

If you have a can of beans and some milk... you're in luck.

But -- Just for the record, my healthy substitute does NOT taste like Alfredo.  It has a good flavor, one I appreciate, but it is not Alfredo.  I highly recommend it atop veggies and pasta (a great way to clean out the fridge too!).



Healthy White Sauce - SnoWhite

1 can Great White Northern beans, drained
3 T - 1/4 C milk (as needed)
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
Spices (like basil), if desired

Begin by draining and rinsing your beans.



Then, place beans in the blender along with a few T of milk. Puree, adding more milk as needed to create a creamy sauce to your desired thickness.



I usually end up using about 1/4 C milk to make my sauce.

Pour sauce over your pasta or veggies while they are still heating in the pan. Add the cheese and any spices you want to add to your sauce.



Stir to melt cheese and warm sauce.

Serve warm.



It's a nice change from a traditional white sauce. Frog Prince (who doesn't like beans) enjoys the sauce too, although his comment is often that it's not as creamy as he'd like. The sauce does dry out pretty easily, so adding more milk when re-heating the dish is helpful.  You'll have to take creative liberties with the milk to achieve the desired consistency of the sauce.

Linked to:

8 comments:

  1. I just don't think i would tell anyone the "secret" ingredient and see what people think... Sounds terrific, gonna give this a shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea! I am going to play with this recipe and see if I can use it to replace my much less healthy garlic herb sauce and maybe my mustard sauce too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant! I am definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha I like your disclaimer. I second Dave's idea...just throw it out to people and see what the response is. I bet they won't even notice.

    It is definitely an original idea! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it without telling hubby that it's made with beans! See what he thinks before telling him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to give this a try. It's a wonderful idea. Would using undiluted evaporated milk or fat free half-and-half give the sauce the creamier taste your husband is looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great way to sneak an extra serving of veggies in!!! If you are looking for a low cal sauce that does taste like alfredo I have one posted on my blog you might want to check out - just do a search for alfredo if you come over :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! I must try...wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...