Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower



Who would have thought this dish would have been this good?!  I certainly didn't think so.  In fact, we just made a small sampling ... in case it was awful.


But, Guy Fieri get's a gold star from me for this dish.  What a fun way to enjoy cauliflower.


Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower - Recipe from Guy Fieri
{Print Recipe}

2 heads of cauliflower, or 2 frozen bags of florets
1 tsp. olive oil
4 C milk
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 T butter
chives, to taste

Start by tossing about 1 C of cauliflower florets in olive oil to coat.


Place under a broiler and roast the cauliflower until browned and slightly caramelized ... about 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, bring remaining florets to a boil in the milk. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir occasionally as the milk boils.


Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the florets get tender. Make sure to stir frequently during the cooking process so the milk does not scold.

When tender, drain the cauliflower; reserve the milk in a bowl/measuring cup.

Place the florets in a blender.


Add the butter, and remaining salt. Puree -- adding reserved milk to create a potato-like consistency.


Top with roasted cauliflower.


And garnish with chives.


What a delicious dish -- great flavor.


This post is linked to:
Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge
URS
Ingredient Spotlight

19 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! My hubby is the picky eater in our family and once I pureed cauliflower and added it to mashed potatoes. He never knew! And it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you guys liked it, I unfortunately didn't get to make it in time, but since I have all the ingredients I am going to make it sometime this week. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family is *so* unenthusiastic about cauliflower--but you might just have hit on a way to change that! Thanks.

    Riley/Elizabeth
    Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's different but I have had a lot of luck with Guy's recipes so, I am not surprised:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis is different! We loved roasted cauli alone...and I use cault to make "mashed potatoes" so I guess it's something we already make but not together. I think we would like it. Thanks for cooking along with FNCCC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting a good cauliflower recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom keeps trying to talk me into a roasted cauliflower dish that she makes, but I've been a little scared off by it. I'm thinking yours though might be something my family would actually eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting dish. I love califlower but for some reason, I never buy it. Not sure why?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to give this a try. It's quite different from the way I usually make cauliflower. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting, I roast broccoli and cauliflower, a head of each, and my family of 5, devours them, even without the extra steps listed here :) maybe I'll give them a whirl :)

    Love the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made pureed cauliflower before but never thought to roast it first. I know it would completely change the flavor for the better because I believe that if you roast a vegetable, it will be good! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have really developed a taste for cauliflower this year, so I will be giving this a try. Thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That comes out beautiful... I want to sprinkle some Paprika on em for some reason though

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roasting is our favourite way to have cauliflower, I haven't pureed it though - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I got my husband to eat (and not complain about) broccoli last week. Maybe this recipe will get him to eat cauliflower too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cauliflower, especially when it's roasted! Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mom's made something like this, only she's cooked the cauliflower in chicken broth and then smashed. I tried it, but I wasn't as successful as she was. Maybe this will be one that works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. would love this must be the day for cauliflower because I also shared a great recipe check it out http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this once and it was so good, but it did make the house smell ;) Worth it though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...