Thursday, January 7, 2010

Taco Dip

Growing up, my mom wanted to make New Years Eve special.  All my memories involve playing cards and eating yummy snacks/appetizers that we only had on new years eve.  This taco dip is a must-make holiday appetizer at our place!

Say hello to my mom's taco dip.



Taco Dip  - Mom
{Print Recipe}

Base
1 - 8oz cream cheese*
1 - 8oz sour cream*
1 - 6oz frozen avocado dip (not guacamole)
1 tsp. lemon juice

Middle
2 lbs. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 - 4oz chopped green chillies, undrained
2 - 1 lb. cans of tomatoes (one drained, one undrained)
2 tsp. salt (or less)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 - 8oz mild taco sauce

Topping
~ 1 1/2 C shredded lettuce
1 large chopped tomato
1/2 C grated cheddar cheese

Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, avocado dip and lemon juice.


Spread on the bottom of a serving tray.


Then, brown hamburger with onion and garlic.
Add in the tomatoes, chilies, salt and pepper.
Then, add in the taco sauce.
Cook mixture at least for 30 minutes, until most of the liquids have evaporated.
 You'll want the meat to be "moist" super dry.  If you happen to get it too dry, just add in a little water before assembling.

We make the meat ahead of time, and refrigerate until we're ready to assemble.


Spread the meat (usually it's best to spread it cooled) on the base layer.



Then, top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.



Serve with chips right away.


Or, refrigerate until serving time.

We often put together a half batch and keep the other layers separate in the fridge until we're ready to use another serving.  We love having it together at the holidays -- there always seem to be people over to enjoy it with!


*Light/low fat/fat free options are just fine.

This post is linked to:
Bloggy Progressive Dinner - AppetizersThis Week's CravingTempt My Tummy TuesdayMouthwatering MondaysDelicious DishesTasty TuesdayURS, 2Ingredient SpotlightDiptacular

16 comments:

  1. This is a little different than the one I make. It sounds so good. I am going to have to make it. Looks like it could be a meal!! Love it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love anything you can eat with a chip. This looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mess... Looks fabulous, i can see me picking it out of my beard for hours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I want to eat that right now. The whole plate of it. I have never heard of this frozen avacado dip that is not guacamole that you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandson's will really enjoy this. It's a perfect family or football snack. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be SO bad for me to have this and only this for dinner? It has veggies right. And dairy. And protein. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! It could be eaten with chips or raw veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, that looks so delicious! Thanks for linking up with This Week's Cravings! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious and is making me hungry! I love the idea of the sour cream layer on the bottom. So yummy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds very tasty!

    just found you on the blog hop and am your newest follower :-)

    joy & blessings,
    Alida from Blackpurl's Knitpickings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that sounds YUMMY!! Like 7 layer dip with a nice happy twist. Ps can I also say thanks for making your site mobile friendly. So much easier on the eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love Taco Dip!
    I've never heard of frozen avocado anything! ;-) Shall have to check it out ;-)
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of frozen avacado dip but this sounds like the kind of thing I could just eat and eat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...