Saturday, February 6, 2010

Squash and Wild Rice Soup



In cleaning out my pantry yesterday, I stumbled upon a butternut squash that I figured I should use up.  I was also hungry for a comforting soup to use it in.  I thought the combination of wild rice, sausage and squash sounded pretty yummy.



I adapted the recipe to be made in the crockpot since I needed to be gone until dinner time, and I think it worked out well.  I didn't have smoked sausage, so I just used turkey Italian sausage -- but I do think the smoked sausage would be a better compliment to the flavors.  And, I think next time I'd add some green veggies -- maybe peas, or green beans, or even spinach, to add additional flavor.

It was a nice, warm, comfy-cozy soup to enjoy on a chilly night.


Squash and Wild Rice Soup - Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

1 large butternut squash
6 C chicken stock
1 large onion, chopped
1 C wild rice, prepared
2 C corn
3/4 lb. smoked sausage (we used Italian Turkey sausage)
1 C half and half, or milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. parsley

Begin by roasting the butternut squash in the oven.  Cut the squash in half, poke with a fork a few times, and then cover and roast in the oven at 350-400 for 1 hour, until tender.  Alternatively, you can "roast" in the microwave as well.



When cooled, scoop out the flesh from the squash.



Combine the squash and 1 C chicken broth and puree.



Pour the puree along with the additional chicken broth into the crockpot.



Meanwhile, saute the sausage with onion in a skillet.

Add to the soup along with the 2 C corn.



Cook on low for ~4 hours.

Meanwhile, prepare the wild rice.



About 1 hour prior to serving, add in the cooked wild rice.

Then, stir in the half and half, along with salt, pepper and parsley.



Heat on low for ~1 hour.

Serve warm, with crackers.

2 comments:

  1. I love the combination of squash and sausage! That sweet/salty/savory combination is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is lovely and what a gorgeous color. Crockpots are the best on a busy day, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...