Sunday, February 7, 2010

Crockpot Hot Fudge Cake

Even though I'm a vanilla girl....I do occasionally crave chocolate.  Dark chocolate.  Typically, my go-to dark chocolate craving curer is my favorite dark chocolate brownies.  But, I had just had those.  I was on a quest to find something else.

Luckily, I remembered seeing a recipe for Hot Fudge Cake on Kara's Kitchen Creation blog.  This would do.



I read through the recipe and first adapted it for dark chocolate, second, swapped out the all purpose flour for wheat flour, third, used applesauce in place of the oil and fourth, tried to reduce the sugar content, as this thing is loaded with sugar.



The end result was very tasty with ice cream - I didn't even miss the sugar.  And, it was even better a day or so later re-warmed with ice cream than it was the first night.  However, the cake wasn't so good all by itself with the reduced sugar -- so, if you don't plan to consume it with ice cream, use more/all of the sugar.  Trust me.

Crockpot Hot Fudge Cake - Adapted from Kara

Dough:
1 C white wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C sugar (I used 1/2 C brown sugar)
2 T Dark chocolate cocoa
1/2 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T oil (I used applesauce)
1/4 C dark chocolate chips (you can easily omit these)

Topping:
1 C brown sugar (I used 1/2 C)
2-4 T cocoa (I used 2 heaping T of dark chocolate cocoa)
1 3/4 C hot water


In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.



Then, mix the applesauce, vanilla and milk into the dry ingredients.

Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.



Pour into a well-greased crockpot.



Then, mix together the topping ingredients -- the brown sugar, cocoa and hot/boiling water.



Pour this on top of the batter in the crockpot.





Then, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours; checking after 3 to make sure it's not burning along the edges.



Serve warm with ice cream!



Linked to:

10 comments:

  1. Thinking I should try this for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate so I will have to try this recipe. I think the hardest part will be waiting the 4 hours for it to bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks so delicious! I love cakes with gooey stuff! I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok the fact that I can do this in the crockpot already has this on the Valentine's Day "to make" list - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! Your recipes always look delicious, but this one makes my heart flutter. :)

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the very useful adaptations. I am a huge dark chocolate fan. That always seemed to be the chocolate that no one wanted at my house, so I claimed it:) I would love for you to link this to Crock Pot Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous that you actually pulled this off...I've tried several times to make one gluten free and it hasn't worked. I am going to try and use your recipe as a starting place and modify it.

    Thanks for linking up to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I am now hungry after looking at your blog. Great recipe, I bet it was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY!! I have leftovers too! Jeremy loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made hot fudge cake before and some similar chocolate "thing" in the crockpot, but it's been a while. Boy, does this look good! You could start it after work and it would be ready at just the right time. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...