Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Apple Rhubarb Crumble

This is our final week of the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge -- crazy!  I can't believe that I've cooked one recipe from every chef on the Food Network!  Thanks for this great challenge, Sarah.  It's been quite fun.



This week's chef is Warren Brown -- and, I was inspired by his recipe for Apple Cranberry Cobbler.  However, I took my own creative liberties with the recipe... so much so that I don't even know if it's close enough to link up for this challenge.  



The original recipe called for 3 CUPS of sugar.  Wow.  

I reduced that to 5 T white sugar and 1/3 C brown sugar.  

It also called for 3/4 C butter, and I ended up using 1/4 C.  



I used rhubarb rather than cranberries (they're both tart, right?!)  and omitted the egg and vanilla entirely, because I didn't feel like rolling out little balls of dough just to flatten them and lay them over the top of the apples.  

You can say it... I was just lazy.  

But, I like the end result :)  



It was tasty.
And, with the sweet apples, I didn't even miss the sugar.


Apple Rhubarb Crumble - Inspired by Warren Brown

8 medium apples (I used Ida Red)
1 C sliced rhubarb
5 T sugar
1 C + 1 T white wheat flour
1/3 C dark brown sugar, packed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 C butter, softened
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 T old fashioned oatmeal

Mix together the sliced apples and rhubarb in a large bowl.



Toss with the 5 T sugar.  Refrigerate while you prepare the topping.



Meanwhile, mix together the flour and salt.  Then, cut in the butter until little balls form.





Then, add in the oats and brown sugar.



When you're ready to bake the crumble, remove the apple mix from the refrigerator and pour off the liquid that has formed.  Then, mix the apples with the cinnamon, nutmeg and two T flour...





Then, place the apple mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish.



Sprinkle the topping over the apples.



Bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes.  I ended up reducing the heat to 350 so that the topping didn't burn.



Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect spring dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing along! I have found plenty of recipes that I will use again and again. This looks great. Crumbles, crisps....my favorite desserts. I love rhubarb but cannot find it down here anywhere. I tried growing it but it didn't work. May try again this fall. I think the summer is too hot for many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of Warren Brown, but this sounds yummy! :) Congrats on finishing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice variation on strawberry rhubarb! I would have decreased that sugar too...3 cups is WAY too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent how you reduced the sugar and healthified this! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look good! My husband loves crumbles and the like, so I might give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, wish we could get rhubarb here in Texas, I've actually never eaten it.

    It has been fun cooking through the chef's challenge, wonder what challenge Sarah will come up with next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...