Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rhubarb Cake



This is my grandmother's rhubarb cake.

It's delicious.

Of course, I try to make it healthier -- and it still tastes great.

Rhubarb Cake - Grandma

1 1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C butter {I do 1/4 C butter, 1/4 C applesauce}
1 egg
1 C milk + 1 T vinegar (allow to set for 5 minutes)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C white wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C rhubarb, sliced
1/8 C sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together brown sugar and butter/applesauce.  Add egg and mix well.  Then, add in the sour milk and vanilla.

Mix the flours, baking soda and salt together and add to the creamed mixture.

Stir in rhubarb.

Pour into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.  Sprinkle the topping with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes until the center of the cake is set.

Enjoy!



This post is linked to:

16 comments:

  1. This looks tasty too! I have two cups of rhubarb left, so this will be perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I really want to take advantage of rhubarb season. This is something I could make and freeze too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Would you be interested in sharing that on my blog (www.betweenthelines-kel.com)? I do a Fabulous Food Friday feature and would love to feature you and this mouthwatering dessert. Let me know. (betweenthelines-kam@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fresh rhubarb (or fresh-frozen too)! Thanks for the healthy cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could find rhubarb around here...maybe I should try to grow some of my own! That cake sounds delicious....and I always love strawberry rhubarb cobbler/pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great I've got a garden full of rhubarb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I have never made anything with rhubarb. I have been eyeing it at the farmer's market lately. I may have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I baked with rhubarb for the first time recently, I think you commented on my post, and we loved it!
    I'd love for you to join in the party over at my new blog, It's A Blog Party!
    http://itsablogparty.com
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, I think I could handle rhubarb easier this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! It looks delicious!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake looks like a GREAT "snacking" cake! And I love that it is recipe that comes from your grandmother....recipes from grandmothers are SO precious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When is the best time to pick rhubarb? I have a plant, but have never used it as I'm not terribly fond of rhubarb, but this cake sounds good.
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this cake last night, and I had to leave a comment telling you how much we enjoyed it. It has the perfect balance between sweet and tart. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This cake is wonderful! I served it for Easter and everyone wanted more. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been waiting all year to make this cake again. It is such a treat and just as good as I remember!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...