Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rustic Rye Bread

I've never been a huge rye bread fan... but, this is one rye bread that I actually enjoy.  It's flavor is subtle and that's just the way I like it.



This bread was delicious topped with cheese, tomato, turkey and sprouts!

Rustic Rye Bread - Mom
Makes 2 loaves

2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 3/4 C warm water (110-115 degrees), divided
1/4 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C molasses
3 T caraway seed
2 T olive oil
3 tsp. salt
1 3/4 C rye flour
3/4 C wheat flour
1 3/4 - 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 C warm water.  Then, add in the brown sugar, molasses, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water.  Mix well.  

Add the rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour.  Knead until smooth.  Add in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.  Knead dough for 6-8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.  

Place dough into a lightly greased bowl.  Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.  

Punch the dough down, and divide dough into 2 equal parts.  Shape dough into two loaves.  Place on a lightly greased cooking sheet; cover and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.  

Bake the loaves at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.  

Cool loaves on wire racks. 

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That looks perfect. I am addicted to rye bread, lightly toasted, and smothered in smashed avocado. I have a favorite rye bread recipe, but yours begs to be tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge rye fan either, but this looks delicate and delicious! I am not a fan of caraway seeds, so I would just leave those out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...