Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blueberry {oil} Muffins



My favorite muffin base recipe happens to be made without oil.


While this is well and good, every once and a while, we want a muffin that has that nice crunchy outside made possible by the oil.  This recipe uses olive oil, the healthier of the oils, and it is light and fluffy!


Blueberry Muffins - Adapted from Emily
{Print Recipe}

1 1/2 C white wheat flour
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 C olive oil
1 egg
1/3 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C blueberries

Begin by mixing together the dry ingredients.


Then, mix together the wet ones in a seperate bowl.


Combine the two until moist.  I ended up needing to add an additional 1/6 C milk because I used wheat flour in the recipe when the original called for white flour.



Stir in the blueberries.


Drop into muffin cups.  I used our jumbo muffin cups because we like them ... and they are so much easier to clean than those little ones!


Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. {About 5 minutes longer for jumbo muffin cups}


And, if you want a real treat -- try Emily's cinnamon topping to go on these muffins.  I'm sure that is delicious.


This post is linked to:

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Yum, I just love your pictures. Totally makes me want to re-think breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely been meaning to bake more with olive oil! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Grapeseed oil would be great too! Healthier than Olive Oil and tastes great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, I will definitely try this recipe
    A better look for your kitchen it is the most preferred choice for renovation of your kitchen it Plan your kitchen by implementing Kitchen cabinets it is The way to give your kitchen a new and refreshing look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all confused on how you got blueberry oil! haha now i get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound great (I love muffins) but I wonder if you can really taste the difference from the olive oil? Olive oil has a strong flavor and I love it, but I'm not sure how it mixes with blueberries. Do you taste the flavor of the olive oil or does it taste like a regular muffin?

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I made these already this morning. I did use Grapeseed oil and it worked great, I also cut the sugar by half and added more blueberries and used 100% whole wheat so I did need to add more milk and cook them longer. I'm off to make a batch with raspberries with my little helper! I'll be posting about it and linking to your blog!
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Elizabeth -

    I noticed no difference using olive oil -- in fact, I cook {and bake} entirely with olive oil. The muffins tasted like regular muffins to me :)

    @ Tara,

    I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the muffins! And, I'm happy that you had success reducing the sugar -- I even cut it down from the original recipe!

    Have you tried King Arthur's 100% White Whole Wheat? I've fallen in love with it for baking treats, like muffins and sweet breads, and that's what I used in this recipe. Glad to hear it works with red wheat too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I've never thought to cook with olive oil before, but I'll have to try it. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the muffins. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...