Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blueberry Zucchini Muffins


These muffins are filled with yummy goodness -- so much so that they might even be considered healthy.



Honey as the sweetener.

Whole wheat flour made from white wheat berries.


Applesauce for oil, if you wish, or olive oil as a healthy oil suitable for baking these delicious muffins.


Blueberries for antioxidants ...

and, zucchini, because - well, zucchini makes almost everything better.



Blueberry Zucchini Muffins - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1 1/2 C white wheat flour
1/4 C honey {generous}
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 C olive oil {or applesauce}
1 egg
1/3 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C blueberries
1 C shredded, drained zucchini

Begin by shredding the zucchini, drain excess liquid by squeezing zucchini shreds in a cheesecloth or paper towels.

Then, mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Combine the moist ingredients together, and then add these to the dry ingredients.

Stir until just moist.

Then, add in the zucchini.

Carefully fold in the blueberries.

Scoop into muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way full.  This made 8 jumbo muffins for us.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.  If you use jumbo muffin tins, add 5ish minutes to the baking time.


Enjoy!


{sorry I don't have step-by-step photos for this one -- these were made during the move!}


Photobucket

This recipe is linked to:

16 comments:

  1. I just bought a ton of zuccini! I should totally make these!! Did you make them both ways with the oil and applesauce? Does it affect the texture much by having JUST the applesauce? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Debbi,

    I usually make my muffins with all applesauce rather than oil; I actually prefer them that way. The texture is nice with applesauce -- the main difference: the crunchy crust. When you use applesauce, the muffins are slightly crunchy on the top right after baking, compared to muffins with oil which are typically more crunchy. I hope you give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look outstanding! I love using honey in my baked goods! I actually like it better than sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love trying to make my muffins healthier. These look great. I especially love their nice rounded tops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound absolutely delish! Love that they include both fruit and veggies plus being whole wheat and honey sweetened! :D

    Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I can't wait to try these!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What perfect timing! My grandma just gave me some zucchini from her garden today and I was wondering what to do with it. AND, we're almost out of our muffins from the freezer. I am definitely giving this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look fantastic! I am really trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, so these will have to make it on my 'to-try' list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh yum! It's been way too long since I've made muffins... I'll have to remedy that with these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use applesauce a lot in my baking in place of oil too! YUM! It makes it so moist and healthier too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are making me drool!! Will have to try them right away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As usual, my dear, you keep my cut and paste function working! This looks really good - and I love the healthier ingredients. I always use applesauce, but have not tried using honey yet - that will soon be rectified!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These were wonderful...we made them yesterday. It was a great way to combine our surplus of zucchini with our berries.

    Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum these look good! I think these will be good in the winter with frozen, shredded zucchini, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to give these a try. What a great healthy muffin!

    Rebekah @ www.kidsdoeathealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these for a mothers group meet up as I love healthy food especially for the kids! They were great! Even the hubby liked them! I am looking forward to trying them using applesauce! I didn't have any this go around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...