Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cherry Blueberry Preserve

I love a great jelly/jam/preserve/spread --- but, until this weekend, I had never tried making them myself.  My grandma makes amazing strawberry rhubarb jam, but that whole process seemed too complicated for me.



Simple and straight forward.  That's what I'm looking for in a jelly recipe -- and this one is both.


Fresh or frozen berries, a little sugar, and an apple, for natural pectin {love that!}.


We'll be making jams/jellies/preserves/spreads again -- I can't wait to try out other combinations!


Cherry Blueberry Spread - Inspired by Kuzak's Closet
{Print Recipe}

16oz (~3 C) dark sweet cherries*, pitted and sliced
3 C blueberries
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 apple, diced
~1 T water

*Fresh or frozen berries work fine!

Rinse the berries with water.  Then, place them in a large kettle and toss with sugar.  I used only a little sugar because the cherries were really sweet -- you may wish to increase the amount of sugar if your berries are tart.  Taste and see!


Then, add in the finely diced apple.

Place the mixture over medium heat and stir until the berries begin to cook.  You may need to add in 1 T of water (or OJ) to give the berries some liquid to help the cooking process begin.


Secure a candy thermometer to the side of the pan such that it's touching the berry mixture and not the bottom of the pan.  Heat to boiling, and continue heating and stirring until the mixture reaches 220 degrees.  You may also wish to use a potato masher to squish the berries while they cook.


When the mixture reaches 220, remove from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Then, pour into sterilized jelly jars and refrigerate.


This recipe filled 2 and a half jelly jars.  And, yes, they are almost gone already.  You can also freeze the jelly for later consumption.

This will be a great way to use up berries that are "on their way out"!


Enjoy!

This post is linked to: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday Tasty Tuesday Ingredient Spotlight

20 comments:

  1. I totally want to make this! I've never made jam but it sounds so tasty! I have NO idea how to can things so I wouldn't want to make a ton of jars but with only 2, this looks great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh that looks so yummy! nice apple trick too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!
    My husband has wanted us to try and start making our own jams and jellies! Will have to give this a try!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now that looks so good!! I have seen more and more bloggers making their own jellies/jams... I really need to get some canning stuff so I can do it too. I just love homemade preserves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful!! I've tried the apple trick before, it didn't work for me :( I blame the altitude of CO :) I made raspberry jam last weekend, too, but I 'cheated' and used boxed pectin. the jam sure is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic! Blueberries are my favorite fruit, so I'll have to keep this recipe in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Blueberries are my favorite fruit, so I'll have to keep this recipe in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made cherry jam and love the blueberry addition in this. Since there are cherries in the freezer I will be trying this! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that apple could serve as natural pectin. Awesome tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you're making jelly without feeling like you have to get out a canner. It's so simple to make - most people just can't get past the pressure cooker. I can't really blame them. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made Black Cherry/Grape Jelly tonight--so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad my jam inspired you to make yours! It looks like it turned out wonderful, I just made more of my own last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will need to try this sometime :)

    It looks Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You say to refrigerate... is there enough acid in this recipe for it to keep in the cupboard for months without spoiling like other preserve recipes? And then just refrigerate after opening? Looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a huge cherry fan, but this combination looks good to me! Thanks for a different take on a standard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was yummy! I think it will be breakfast for dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy, I love how it only makes a little, perfect! So you don't have to worry with canning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I've never canned or preserved anything - I tend to rely on my trusty freezer :) This is a great use for all those berries I picked though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to try my hand at making jam, but haven't yet.

    Thanks for the directions...Looks yummy!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...