Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Applesauce Zucchini Bread


more conveniently referred to as the fruit and veggie bread!


This recipe uses 100% whole wheat flour -- in white wheat flour.


I've gotten a few questions over the past few weeks about white wheat flour so, insert interlude here:
White whole wheat flour is whole wheat flour made from white berries rather than red wheat berries, hence the lighter color.  Not only that -- it's just as nutritious as wheat flour from red berries, but it has a fine enough texture that it can be substituted well for all-purpose flour.  In fact, at our house, we no longer buy all purpose flour, it's white wheat and red wheat for us!
Okay, that aside -- this recipe uses whole wheat, applesauce, sweet potato and zucchini!  And, yes, it tastes good.


 Next time I make it, I'm going to try using honey or molasses as a sweetener.  


It's a bread I can feel good about eating for breakfast... or as a dessert!



Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Applesauce Zucchini Bread - Adapted from Nave Family Food
{Print Recipe}

2 C white wheat flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C sugar
1/2 C applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C sweet potato puree
1 1/2 C shredded zucchini

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, soda and powder.


Next, add in the sugar.


Then, add in the applesauce, eggs, vanilla, sweet potato and zucchini.


Mix until just moist.

Pour into a lightly greased bundt pan, or a large loaf pan.


Bake at 350 for ~1 hour, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Cool in the pan for 5-15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack for complete cooling.


Wait until the bread is cooled before trying to slice it.  As challenging as it might be, it's worth the wait.


For an extra special treat -- toast a slice the next day... warm and crunchy... YUM!



Photobucket

This recipe is linked to:

15 comments:

  1. What an awesome recipe! I can't wait to try it. . . . . . We use hard white wheat at our house for things that use yeast. My kids just don't like the hard red. We are surrounded by wheat fields that grow hard red, and my husband teases me endlessly about having our grain come in by UPS. . . . . . For things that don't require yeast I mill soft white pastry wheat. Sometimes I cut it with some unbleached white flour. Everybody's happy! . . . . . Love your site!!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great healthy bread recipe, I'm going to have to try this one....but I'll make sure not to tell my boyfriend what's in it!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I totally want to go home and make this recipe! Thanks for sharing! I hope you are settling into your new home and kitchen nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds de-lish! Definitely bookmarking this recipe for the next time I feel like making a fun new bread!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has everything good in it. A true winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? Who knew? Thanks for sharing and linkin up. Sounds yummy and can't wait to try it out.
    alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great healthy recipe - and I love that it has sweet potato in it! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using white wheat flour for awhile now and really love it. The texture is amazing. King Arthur is my brand of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! - this is a party in a bread! A delicious party at that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got some leftover baby food sweet potato puree (homemade) I just found in the freezer. I think this bread is calling its name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM this looks delicious! I could probably google this but: what are the benefits of honey vs. sugar as the sweetener?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious - and healthy! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the cup of sugar, you could add some banana, too. One really ripe banana, mashed, should use up 1/4-1/3 c. sugar that's needed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...