Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ham and Garden Veggie Shells


It started out pretty simple -- make ham and broccoli shells for dinner.  Then, I opened the fridge and saw zucchini and mushrooms staring at me saying "eat me".


Since I really was craving pasta shells, I decided to throw in the whole veggie gang -- and I'm glad I did.  Both Frog Prince and I actually like this version better than the original :)

I don't have many photos either -- it was more of a "clean out the fridge" meal that actually was better than we expected!


Ham and Garden Veggie Shells - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1/2 lb. whole wheat pasta {about 1/2 a box}
1 bag (16oz) frozen broccoli
1 medium zucchini, quartered
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C diced ham
1 1/2 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T flour
1 C milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Begin by boiling the pasta.

Meanwhile, saute the ham, mushrooms and zucchini together in a large skillet over medium heat.  You may need to add a little olive oil to prevent the veggies from sticking to the pan.

Then, toss in the broccoli.

Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to coat.

Slowly add in the milk, stirring to mix well, until a thick mixture is formed.  Note -- if the mixture is too thick, add more milk!

Add in the cooked and drained pasta.

Then, remove the dish from the heat.

Stir in the cheese and allow the heat in the dish to melt the cheese.

Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!



Photobucket

This post is linked to:

14 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! A nice way to make mac-n-cheese a bit more healthy, too. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm....look at all that cheesy goodness!!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a meal turns out better than expected - and uses up leftovers!! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! This looks yummy and healthy! I will have to try this. Going to bookmark now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found another Food Blogger!!!! You can't tell how happy I am :) People thought i was nuts, and I'm finding more :) hehe
    LOVE, love, LOVE your blog! Wow, I'm starving now :)
    your newest follower
    ~Melanie @ My Side of Life
    http://mburbage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love creating delicious meals that allow me to be creative AND use up spare veggies. This looks like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to do ham and asparagus lasagna tonight, but I think I'll do this instead with the asparagus instead of broccoli.YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I really want this RIGHT NOW!! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good! Nice job! =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum.
    thanks s!
    i'm adding it to our weekly menu plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this tonight and it was great! I used a bit of butter, added garlic, onions and yellow squash (diced). Then threw in some turkey ham and broccoli. I added about 3 tbsp. of flour and a cup of milk, tossed in the shells and put 1.5 cups of cheese in until it was melted. Then I put it in a 13x9 pan and put about 1/2 cup of cheese on top and stuck it under the broiler! Delicious, and a HUGE serving was only 600 calories. We just ate that - didn't really need sides - so I would consider it fairly low-cal, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am trying to find ways to sneak veggies in for myself, I am not the biggest vegetable fan. I made this for dinner tonight, and it is awesome! The only change I made was to add a little garlic powder to suit our personal taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...