Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

I love my crockpot.
It's well worn and broken in.
Over the past 5 years, it's made a considerable number of meals to feed our family.



This breakfast casserole was a huge hit!  We enjoyed it for dinner one evening, and again for brunch over the weekend.  I love the short ~2 hour cooking time -- makes it feasible to make even when I get home from work; which is great for those long days when traditional crockpot dishes would we well over done.    


The dish is versatile too -- I used asparagus and mushrooms along with ham for the first go-round, and the second time, I used kielbasa sausage, broccoli, peppers and mushrooms.  


Crockpot Breakfast Casserole - Adapted from Come Have a Peace
{Print Recipe}

1-2 thick slices of "older" bread {French, of the crusts of homemade wheat bread work great!}
1 C fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 C fresh green veggies {asparagus, broccoli, bell peppers, spinach, etc}
1 C diced ham or sliced kielbasa sausage
4 eggs
1/4-1/2 C milk
1/2 C colby jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, as needed

Begin by spraying the crockpot with olive oil or a cooking spray.

Then, break apart the bread into small chunks.  Sprinkle these in the bottom of the crockpot.


Over the top, layer the mushrooms, green veggies and meat.



Lightly beat the eggs and milk together, then pour this mixture over the top!


Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper, as desired.


Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 -2 hours.



Enjoy!

This post is linked to:
What's on your plate?
Recipe Swap
This Week's Craving
URS: Easy Brunch
Recipe Roundup
Ingredient Spotlight

25 comments:

  1. Oh yum! That sounds so good and so easy! I would never have thought to make a breakfast casserole in my crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought to make eggs in the crockpot before! This sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a great idea! I've made the traditional one where you put it in the fridge overnight, then bake it the next morning. I'm loving the crock pot idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely can not wait to try this - I am practicaly drooling at my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! Perfect for when you have company over! I am going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! This is going to HAVE to be on my menu next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never go wrong having breakfast for dinner, thanks for this recipe! NOMMY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cooks must think alike because I blogged just this week about my recipe for a crock pot breakfast casserole. Similar to yours but a little different. You'll have to stop by and check it out http://alattewithotta.blogspot.com/2010/11/crock-pott-recipe-egg-brunch-casserole.html
    Love waking up to an already cooked breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We make a crock-pot casserole for breakfast too! I love having it all ready when I wake up! Ours cooks overnight! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious, I am always looking for egg recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds so yummy. I am bookmarking but would probably make it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Thank you for sharing. I'm determined to use my crock pot more! ~Prairie Story

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so EXCITED about this recipe!!

    I'm just in the process of putting together my recipes and plans for Christmas - this year my son is away at college and I'm wanting to make his home coming extra special.

    To me, this is the perfect idea for Christmas morning!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Visiting from This Weeks's Cravings Blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up to this week's cravings. I have a breakfast crock-pot recipe that we just love too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this for breakfast, but woke up too late for it to get done in the crockpot before church, so I just baked it in the oven. SO good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so good my family would love them. I just found your blog its great. Come check out my blog at www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com


    Have a Great Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How many people will this recipe feed? I'm wondering if I should double the recipe for some BIG eaters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would double it! It fed 4 with a few leftovers.

      Delete
    2. Should one change the cooking time or temperature if doubling the recipe?

      Delete
  20. Sara, I was going to make this on Thursday. I've made it before for dinner, but I want it for the morning. DO you think I could cook it on low over night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe?! I think 4-5 hours on low would be OK, but longer would likely burn. Do you have a timer that could switch the crockpot from low to warm after 4 hours? Otherwise, here's a breakfast one that works for 8 hours really well -- http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2013/07/crockpot-breakfast-egg-casserole.html

      Delete
    2. thanks! I don't have a timer. but I could set my alarm and turn it on...or maybe I'll just have a later breakfast. Thanks friend!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...