Thursday, December 23, 2010

Caramel Cranberry Chex Mix


Christmas holiday celebrations are not complete without Chex Mix.



At least that is how it is in our house.

Chex Mix is a tradition of sorts -- a nice compliment to all the sweet goodies.


In addition to the traditional favorite {sans nuts, of course}, this yummy caramely chex mix will also be found in our munchies this year.  Thanks to Myra -- I have a new favorite holiday snack.


Cranberry Caramel Chex Mix - Adapted from Myra
{Print Recipe}

4 C Rice Chex
4 C Corn Chex
2-3 C Pretzels
1 C brown sugar
6 T butter
1/4 C Karo Syrup {light}
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 C craisins
1/2 C dark chocolate chips

Begin by combining the butter and brown sugar in a 2 C glass measuring cup.  Add in the Karo Syrup.


Microwave for ~2 minutes, until butter is melted.  Stir about half way through the cooking time.


Meanwhile, prepare the pretzels and cereal by mixing them together in a very large bowl, or by mixing them in 2 9x13 baking pans (that's what I did).  If you go the pan route, make sure you spray them with cooking spray before adding the cereal/pretzel mix.


When the caramel mix is warmed, stir in the baking soda.  This will cause the mixture to froth a bit.  No worries.  Just stir to combine.


Pour the mixture over the cereals -- if you've split the batch into 2 baking pans, pour half over each pan.  Stir to combine.


Then, pop those trays into the oven and bake at 250 for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.


Cool completely and then add in the craisins and dark chocolate chips.



Serve and enjoy!


Sweet?  Salty?  Or a little bit of both.  My vote is both.  Traditional and Sweet Chex Mix it is!


Linked to:
Your Recipe, My Kitchen
Ingredient Spotlight

7 comments:

  1. This is fruit and cereal, I can eat this for breakfast, right? :-) It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love homemade chex mix. this looks like a good one. Love the cranberries! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Debbi - I'm right with you. In fact, I have to hide this stuff because I could eat it all day long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how versatile chex mixes can be. Sweet, savory, there are so many kinds. This variation is new to me. I love the chocolate and cranberries. Thanks so much for linking up with "your recipe, my kitchen!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a winning variation! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...