Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cheese Crusted Lasagna Soup



Yes, this is the third recipe I've posted for Lasagna Soup.  I know.  I'm addicted to soups - and lasagna soups have a special place in my tummy.


This one is nothing like our cheesy spinach lasagna soup {this recipe has a bit more kick to it!}, and it's a bit more involved than our easy lasagna soup.

This one involves a layer of cheese on the bottom of your soup bowl.


And, yes.  It's good.


Cheese Crusted Lasagna Soup - Mom

Soup
1 lb. Italian sausage
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (you may omit these)
2 T tomato paste
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium bell pepper, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 C fresh spinach
6 C chicken broth
8 oz. whole wheat pasta shells

Cheese Base {per bowl}
1 T ricotta cheese
1 T Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 T Mozzarella cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste


Brown sausage until cooked through.  Drain excess grease.



In a large stockpot, add onion, garlic, oregano, mushrooms, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes and a bit of olive oil (if needed) and saute about 5 minutes.  Then, add in sausage and tomato paste and saute until lightly browned.


 Add in the tomaotes, broth and bay leaf.


Simmer the soup for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.


Add in the pasta and spinach and cook until tender; about 7-9 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf.



Add in basil and season with salt and pepper.  


Place ricotta cheese in the bottom of the soup bowl.


 Top with Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper, as desired.


Serve soup over the cheeses in the bowl.


Makes about 13 C of soup.



This post is linked to:
What's on Your Plate?
Ingredient Spotlight
No Whine Wednesday
Hearth and Soul
Full Plate Thursday
Sundae Scoop
Friday Favorites
Recipe Linky

SoupaPalooza

30 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...this looks so good!! I keep meaning to try your easy Lasagna Soup, so I think these will be making it to our menu soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that looks soooooo good!!! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! My hubby doesn't like ricotta so I leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! What a fun twist on the usual lasagna flavors. This will be a hit with the whole family! Bookmarked for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this really does sound like a fun dish! cant wait to make some soon. thanks for sharing this. have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup and I love lasagna - I need to try this! I am hosting my first link party and would love for you link up
    http://mostlyfoodandcrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. I am really wishing for a bowl right now. Hmmm...maybe this is perfect for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at cheese in the bottom of the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soup is always delicious at this time of year! And I love the idea of the cheese on the bottom of the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you had me at layer of cheese on the bottom...oh yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this sounds and looks great and ummm cheese at the bottom... brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog!! I look forward to what's new in your kitchen. Keep up the great work and thanks for another great soup recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious take on lasagna!! Years ago we received meals for 4 months from friends and family due to a hospitalization - and many people brought lasagna - my kids still don't like it - but I bet you they will love this! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious! Sounds like a perfect cold day meal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so hearty and wholesome! i love the idea of adding the ricotta and cheese at the bottom of the bowl!! awesome! great to have discovered your blog thru Deborah's site!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this would be a hit in our house, especially with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so excited that you brought you Mom's Lasagna Soup to Full Plate Thursday. It looks wonderful and I hope I get some of it before it is all gone...You were my very first link for the very first Full Plate Thursday...Thank you for coming and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am very excited about this recipe! I have been tossing around the idea of Lasagna Soup and have even gone as far as to print off Paula Deen's recipe BUT I wanted ricotta cheese to be a part of the mix and was trying decide HOW I was going to do that...well your recipe solves that for me :)

    Looking forward to having this on the menu for next week!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this last night and it was delicious. I was trying to find something to use up some pasta that I already had and finish off any other random ingredients I had. Conveniently enough, I had a quarter of a bag of spinach, a handful of mushrooms, a single pepper, and just enough fresh garlic to pull this off, so it finished off more than I expected even. The kids loved it and I was happy that it didn't turn out tasting like goulash even though that's what the girls asked me if it was as soon as they saw it, lol. (Their school serves a nasty goulash, so they wanted anything but that). The cheese on the bottom made all the difference in the world, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made this soup last night and it filled the whole house with such a warmy yummy aroma. All the kids loved it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Would like to invite you over to Fat Camp Friday @ Mangoes and Chutney. The linky is up all weekend and one blogger from the linky party is featured every Wednesday. http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/2011/01/fat-camp-friday-10-blackened-tilapia.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. this soup sounds fantastic!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made this recipe tonight and my husband said it was the best soup he has ever had! Thank you so much! I passed it along to my Mom and MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the idea of putting cheese in the bowl, not in the broth. My son has a severe dairy allergy so I avoid many dairy recipes. But with your idea I can make yummy cheesy soup for us while still making his soup *look* the same as ours-very important to a 2 year old. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't eat pork, is there any way I can make this with ground beef instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! We also love it with ground Italian turkey "sausage".

      Delete
  26. Glad you asked Becky - I was just going to say the same thing! My husband likes to put Italian seasoning in hamburger...wonder if it would be similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could work! This is our go-to seasoning blend. if you want to make your own:

      http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-mild-italian-sausage-seasoning.html

      Delete
  27. I am just stopping by to say this recipe still looks amazing! You brought this to our very first Full Plate Thursday and this week I am marking Five Years, Wow! Thanks for your support through the years!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...