Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tater Tot Hotdish


The quintessential church potluck dish.



Only with a twist.

Entirely from scratch.


Better for you, too.


This dish will be a hit at your dinner table.


Or church potluck.


Tater Tot Hotdish - Finding Joy in My Kitchen

1 lb. ground beef/turkey
1 medium onion, diced
Gill seasoning {we used McCormick's}, to taste
1 (14-16 oz) package frozen mixed veggies
1/2 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk
1 T corn starch
1/2 C diced celery
salt and pepper, to taste
12-24 tater tots

Begin by making a cream of celery/chicken soup.  To do so, combine 1/2 C chicken broth with 1 T corn starch.  Stir until dissolved.  Then, pour into a pan with the diced celery.



Add in the milk, and heat to a slow boil while stirring constantly.  Mixture will thicken as the temperature rises.


When the mixture is thickened and slightly boiling, remove it from the heat.

Then, brown the ground turkey or beef.  Traditional tater tot hotdish is made with ground beef; but I happen to like turkey better.


Sprinkle the browning meat with onion and grill seasoning.  Add salt and pepper, as needed.  Drain excess grease.

Pour the ground meat into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.  {We halved the recipe and used a 9x9 for just the two of us}


Top with frozen mixed veggies.


Then, pour the creamed soup over the mixture.


Place the tater tots on the top.


Bake at 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until the dish is bubbly and tater tots are lightly browned.


Enjoy!

The recipe is linked to: Things I Love Thursday, Tasty TraditionsFun with FoodSundae Scoop, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, URS

13 comments:

  1. Yea, that looks WAY better than any tater tot hotdish I've ever seen at a potluck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just use corn in ours instead of mixed veg. But I am loving the homemade cream soup idea! Definately going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quick and easy dinner even my kid would enjoy. I'm all over this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this does look really yummy! I may try this for our church potlucks!
    Thanx so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this dish before, but it looks and sounds awesome. And I feel like I could easily make this vegetarian. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice twist on the tatertot casserole. :) I love making it with cream of mushroom, onions, sour cream and cheese. It is so unhealthy though. So I will have to try this variation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really good, I'll have to try it with fake meat. Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried that! Looks comforting, delicious and easy...add it to my list for yummy dishes to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! WE love tater tot casserole. Love how you have veggies in yours and homemade tater tots (WOW!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have never thought of making somethihng like this! it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know it turned out! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe! And I love the step by step instructions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of this dish before.. and it sounds SO good!! Love new ideas :)
    Wanted to invite you to link up this recipe (and others) at a weekly event that I host titled Seasonal Sundays! http://realsustenance.com/
    xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...