Saturday, January 22, 2011

Waffles {of insane greatness}



I love a good waffle.  When I saw Laura's recipe for "Waffles of Insane Greatness" I knew these would quickly move to the top of our "to try" pile!


Just looking at these waffles makes me want to make them again.  Crunchy.  Tasty.  Oh. My.  And the smell of the batter.  Waiting 30 minutes to let the batter set up was challenging (but so worth it!).  

I tweaked the recipe a bit - using whole wheat flour (my favorite KA white whole wheat) and reduced the oil a bit in the recipe (and switched it to olive oil).  We loved them.


Waffles {of Insane Greatness} - Adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

3/4 C wheat flour*
1/4 C corn starch
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 C milk (+ 2 T, if using wheat flour)
1/2 C buttermilk
4 T olive oil
1 egg
3/4 tsp. vanilla


Begin by mixing the dry ingredients together in a bowl.


I've never used corn starch in a waffle before. But, I can check that off my list now.

Then, in a separate bowl, mix the milks, egg, oil and vanilla.


Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mixing until just slightly lumpy.


Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes.


When the 30 minutes is up, pour the batter into the waffle maker. I use a soup ladle -- makes the process so easy! No mess.


Cook according to your waffle makers directions.


Serve warm.


We served ours with raspberry syrup.


These would make a delicious Valentine's day breakfast in bed, boys {hint, hint}.


Are you a waffle fan, or do you prefer the light, fluffy pancake?

*I used King Arthur Flour White Whole Wheat flour, which is ground really finely.  If your wheat flour is more corse, I recommend a 1:1 ratio of whole wheat to all purpose.

Photobucket


This recipe is linked to: Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Mouthwatering Mondays, Ingredient Spotlight

27 comments:

  1. I love good waffles. If these are of insane greatness then I must try them this weekend!!!! They look PERFECT, light, fluffy inside and crispy outside. YUM! The photos are great, I'm drooling now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An insanely great AND crunchy waffle? Sounds like a must-make to me. Thanks, as always, for sharing the good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both! I've been looking for a good waffle recipe - can't wait to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sno,
    These look YUMMY, and I'll make the sauce to go with them too...Mmmmm! What is the purpose of the cornstarch? and why did you say "You can check that off your list now"??? Are you going to omit it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...look delicious! I'd probably have to make a triple batch for my hungry crew...you wouldn't believe how many pancakes/waffles those little kids can eat! It's like they're starving or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Donna@Conghaile Cottage

    I've never put corn starch in any baked goods - that was a new one for me. Do not omit it! I was just saying now I can cross off "baking with corn starch" from my list of things to try in the kitchen!

    I have no idea what the corn starch does... but these waffles were great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both, but if I had to choose, waffles would definitely win =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. im a crispy waffle fluffy pancake fan! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your waffles look fantastic! What I really like about your recipe is that it is not loaded with eggs like most waffle recipes. This is a must try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've used cornstarch in shortbread cookies before and it makes a huge difference. So I'm excited to try it here too.
    So any thoughts on mixing it up the night before and leaving the batter in the fridge overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look good! I am not a pancake fan, but I love waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now if i can get a new waffle maker/plates id be all set! can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @karen

    Ahhh! I've used corn starch there too... thanks for the reminder. I couldn't figure out where else I've used it :)

    I am not sure how they'd set up over night. I guess the only way to know is to try! If you do, will you let me know? I'll aim to try it too -- and I'll post when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I put the dry ingredient together last night. And wet together and in the fridge. Except for the buttermilk. (I made my buttermilk this morning with milk and lemon juice). Then as soon as I was up, I combined the two, let it sit while I showered. When my toddler woke up they were ready to make, so it wasn't a huge wait with a fussy toddler while I made waffles. Saved some time. Next time I'll probably try to just combine it all and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I'd let you know that I made these this morning for a treat! I made the mixture last night and put it in the fridge, added a bit of water this morning to thin it, and worked wonderfully! We don't drink dairy in our house, so I used coconut milk, and I even made "buttermilk" out of some of it with vinegar, and again, it all worked well. We enjoyed them a lot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Alison

    @karen

    Wonderful, Ladies! Thanks for letting me know how the recipe worked for you in the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, you got me. How can I not try waffles that claim insane greatness?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE waffles. My dad's mountain man recipe, if I remember correctly, uses more oil. I think he uses like a 1/4 cup of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your waffles look delicious, so crunchy and served with fruit, mmm!

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried to achieve the insane greatness and I flopped. They did not turn out :( Not sure what went wrong. Maybe I will try again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Waffles are definitely my family's favorite breakfast. I love the raspberry sauce on top. Looks like the perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. made this for breakfast!!! thanks for posting. we whipped up the blueberry syrup as well. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They're so fluffy I could die! (sorry, had to throw in a movie quote)

    ReplyDelete
  24. me again. second time this week. My oldest was looking for waffles "like they taste from the toaster" (ie CRISPY). Okie dokie.
    THESE waffles delivered! WOW! so delicious and I even tried them with olive oil. Doubled the batch and used half white whole wheat and half white flour. INSANELY good! thanks again!
    ALthough....I still really, really love our multi-grain waffles (posted on my food blog) and I wonder if/how I could combine these recipes. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  25. I tried these yesterday and we were SO pleased with the results! However, we subbed arrowroot for corn starch & used coconut oil rather than olive oil. Overall AMAZING and perfectly crispy! They worked well with refrigeration and then toasting to heat them up. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yehaa, tried this greatness. Just so awesome and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...