Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ham and Mushroom Omelet


A couple of years ago, I learned an easy way to make omelets.


Before that... I had no idea what I was doing.  I tried flipping the eggs over and that never ended up pretty.  For me, or the eggs.


Now, I have a great method down that really works for me. The trick... cook over low heat and cover the eggs while they are cooking.  When the egg is just about done, add the toppings, then fold in half.  Thus, you avoid the need to flip the egg all together!


It's as easy as that!

Our current two favorite omelets are veggie-filled, and ham and mushroom.  Today, I will share the ham and mushroom version with you.  


Ham and Mushroom Omelet - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
Serves 2

3 eggs
1/4 C milk
salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices of ham lunch meat, cut into small pieces
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C cheese, shredded {we like Colby Jack}

Begin by lightly beating the three eggs together in a large bowl or measuring cup.  I like to use a liquid measuring cup because of the nice pour spout.  If you have a cool bowl with one- like this Oxo one my mom has - by all means, use that bowl!  Add the milk and stir.  Season with salt a pepper.

Lightly oil an omelet-sized pan and begin to heat the pan over medium heat.

Check to see that the pan is ready by dripping a few drops of egg in the pan.  If it cooks right away, your pan is ready.  Then, pour in half of the egg mixture.


Cover the eggs in the pan with a cover that fits nicely on your pan.


Allow the eggs to cook until the top is set and no longer runny.  This takes my eggs about 5 minutes with our stovetop.

Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms and ham together in a second skillet.  And, get the cheese ready.

Uncover, and add your toppings to one half of the omelet.



Sprinkle in the cheese, and cover again.  Allow the cheese to mostly melt and the egg to finish cooking.  


Using a spatula, fold the egg over the filling.


Carefully slide the omelet onto a plate.


Serve with a nice glass of OJ!  We love having these for dinner or brunch -- a great and filling meal.


How do you make your omelets?

Photobucket


Linked to: What's on Your Plate?

7 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect omelet. I love how Full of mushrooms it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks great, i have honestly never done mushrooms in mine but i am going to soon! i love mine with whatever is fresh in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea - I cook mine on medium-high, wait until it's almost cook and then flip. I'll have to try it your way sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love omelets I love your combination

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea, not actually flipping the egg. I usually just say a quick prayer before flipping. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did the other half of the egg mixture go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the second omelet! Sorry for not clarifying that!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...