Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rice Krispies

For Bible study two weeks ago, I made Rice Krispie bars.



These bars are nothing super special, just a treat that we hadn't had in a long time.

I know... marshmallows and rice cereal isn't that great for you, but every once and a while we splurge.

When I pulled my box of cereal out, I was shocked to not see their recipe on the box! One phone call to my mom solved that problem -- and thus, why you are seeing this recipe here. I'm pretty sure everyone has this recipe somewhere, and now I do too.



Rice Krispie Bars - Adapted from Kelloggs

6 C rice krispie cereal
1 (~10 oz) package marshmallows
3 T butter

Begin by melting the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  


When the butter is nearly all melted, add in the marshmallows.  Stir continuously, as they melt.  



Once the marshmallows have melted, stir in the cereal.  


Carefully {so as not to crush the cereal} and quickly, stir the cereal until it is well coated.  


Scoop cereal mix into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish.  Press (using a lightly oiled hand or spatula) the cereal in tightly.  


Allow the bars to sit for 30-60 minutes before slicing and serving. 

Next time, I'm aiming to try this recipe using brown rice puffs and homemade marshmallows. We'll see how that goes :)

7 comments:

  1. Love rice crispy bars! I just made some the other week too. I'm going to have to invite you to our bible study if you keep making treats like this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxious to hear how your bars come out with the homemade marshmallows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For our church softball teams I often make these bars with peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips. Even more unhealthy, but absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great treat! At least it is better for you than candy (at least I think it is ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think next time I make these I'll melt some dark chocolate and drizzle it over them - delicious and dark chocolate is supposed to be good for your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its super over the top if you throw in some partially melted marshmallows right before you add the cereal then they are extra chewy. Or melt some more marshmallows at the end and pour it on the top, sooooooo good. Can't wait to see your healthy take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can also brown the butter - it adds an awesome nutty flavor that people can't quite put their finger on. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...