Sunday, September 18, 2011

An appliance only a foodie loves

This weekend, the home appliance I’ve been itching for over the last year, finally made an appearance in our home. 

Yes, we got a chest freezer. 

Our freezer above our fridge has been spread to the max – overflowing at the gills at most points. 

And, now, we can allow the wealth of yummy foods in our freezer to have a little more breathing room. 

I took a freezer inventory today and I thought you might want to see a peek of our newly arranged chest freezer! 

Freezer Inventory

The two baskets on the top hold our breads, tortillas and pizza doughs (left) and our frozen fruits (right). 

Under the basket on the left, we have our meats. Staples in our freezer include chicken breasts, whole chickens, lean ground beef, ground turkey,  and ground turkey sausage (Italian seasoned).

In the center bottom section we have our veggies – spinach, mushrooms, shredded zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and a Normandy blend.  We also have a larger bag of frozen raspberries here. 

The bottom right has spaghetti sauce, apple honey tea, extra yeast and whole wheat flours (we love white whole wheat). 

I’m loving the new arrangement – especially since we now have room to put our ice cube maker tray back into our upstairs freezer!  And, the upstairs freezer has our every day items in it: ice cream, some frozen veggies, ice cream maker bowl, and – right now some apple pies! 

Do you have a chest freezer?  Do tell. 

12 comments:

  1. I would never have guessed you did all the cooking you do without the presence of a chest freezer.

    Congrats on the wise investment. It will serve you well for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a full-sized upright freezer. We got it a couple of years ago and I LOVE it! Recently I was wanting to cut some costs. I'd been occasionally putting leftovers in the freezer. So lately we've been eating the leftovers (and eating other frozen items). It's been a nice break for me and a good way to save some money and make sure that food doesn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an upright freezer in our basement, about the size of a refrigerator. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have an upright freezer and we love it for deals on meat as well as bulk cooking! congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have an upright freezer in our basement. I LOVE it. We bought half a cow last spring and it is awesome. Our door actually opened a bit one day and some of our meat defrosted so we have thermometers in there now to check on it all the time. Yours will never do that. Good call. Hope you enjoy filling it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we have almost the same freezer! I created an installed an organizer for ours, and I LOVE IT. However, I'd recommend only installing it in half your freezer; it is difficult to freeze bigger things with it in there. Here's the link (and excuse the goofy title; I was super-tired when writing this post!)! http://oregonkaisers.blogspot.com/2010/03/sardine-chicken-and-freezer.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extra freezers are the best thing ever, whether it's a standup or a chest freezer (I have one of each actually, ha). I love being able to freeze a ton of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine your delight! I was just talking to a friend about how, as adults, we get SO very excited over appliances and new gadgets for the house--when before we thought they were insignificant!

    We have an upright freezer, which is very large {it holds all of my freezer meals, frozen fruits/pie fillings, garden produce, ice creams, and some meats} and we have a chest freezer that holds our beef, venison and soon to be hog. I couldn't function without either one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been talking about investing in a chest freezer too, but have decided to wait until we have little ones and need to store more food. Ours is a side-by-side fridge and freezer now and we can store quite a bit in there. I'm so happy for you though! I know you are completely giddy over your new appliance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always had a deep freezer and an upright. Presently, they are both chock full of garden veggies and a side of beef, chicken leg quarters and other things.

    One thing I wanted to say is that your washer is up on a stand--be careful that if the load ever makes the machine rattle (as in an uneven load) it might actually fall off the stand and then you will have a very expensive replacement on your hands!

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I got married 20 years ago, a small chest freezer was the first thing we saved for. We bought a 7 cu. foot Kenmore for $149. It has served us well over the years. I have saved a ton by being able to stock up at sales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most of the foodies having freezers because we could store more foods into freeze. Mostly i am used using for pie, peanut cake.
    Dreambox 500s

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...