Thursday, November 3, 2011

DIY Season Salt

Last week, after sharing all these DIY condiments and spices as part of Friday Favorite Finds, I decided to give it a go.  We had emptied our Season Salt container and I didn’t refill it with our remaining seasoning.  Instead, I tried to make some on my own. 

By making your own, you have the ability to adjust the spices just as you like.  We decreased the salt, increased the garlic to our taste and really enjoyed how it turned out.
 

This homemade variety was delightful, one I’m glad to fill my spice bottle with!

DIY Season Salt – Adapted from Food.com

Ingredients

  • 3 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • 1/8 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. corn starch

Directions

Measure out the spices into a small bowl. 

Mix them together.

Store in an airtight container (try an old spice bottle for ease of use).  Sprinkle on steamed veggies, or use in recipes as directed. 

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the thought that you can control the sodium content a bit more. I'll to give this a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I need to make some because I'm not 100% in love with the season salt I have now...too much celery seed for my taste. and an easy solution, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know where I could find a good alternative to a salt free version like Mrs. Dash? I'd love to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I have been wanting to make my own seasoned salt for a while, thanks for the recipe. Have pinned it to my food board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting ... never thought to make my own..don't know why though..thanks for the recipe..will indeed try it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea and I love your combination of spices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...