Saturday, April 21, 2012

Greek Yogurt Pound Cake

Up until a few weeks ago, I’m pretty sure I’ve never tasted a pound cake. 

Something about the name just didn’t sound appetizing to me.  Maybe because I associated pound with the pound of butter most recipes use! 

Alas, I needed a pound cake for our Easter dessert, and thus, I broke down and finally made one.  Only, I used 100% Greek Yogurt and no additional oil or butter!

 

The result was a pound cake I’ll make again and again.  It’s delicious and the texture was wonderful. 

Greek Yogurt Pound Cake

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 C white whole wheat flour*
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 C Greek Yogurt
  • heaping 2/3 C sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 C buttermilk
  • Optional: 1 tsp. lemon or orange zest

*Your flour should be as fine as possible – we used King Arthur White Whole Wheat, but Eagle Mills White Whole Wheat with UltraGrain would also work well. 

Directions

Begin by mixing together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.  Toss in the salt and stir. 

Then, whip together the Greek yogurt and sugar. 

Add in the egg and 1/2 C buttermilk.  Stir well. 

Add the wet and dry ingredients together & mix until moist.

Transfer the batter to a lightly greased loaf pan. 

Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes until lightly browned & a toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from the pan within 2-3 minutes of removing the cake from the oven. 

Cool before slicing and serving.

Are you a fan of pound cake??

10 comments:

  1. This is too funny! I posted a Yogurt cake today too! :) I added it to yesterday's linky.

    Maria @ The Fitness Girl Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful, and my husband is eating greek yogurt daily, so I think he would enjoy this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm a fan! My mom used to make pound cake growing up and we always loved it. It also goes great with strawberries and whipped cream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipes are the best - can't wait to try this one! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to try this! Definitely on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds great! Should the Greek Yogurt be plain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Suzi. Plain Greek Yogurt will work best.

      Delete
  7. Sound Delicious!
    And, Oooh -- I did not notice your new spatchula-beater on your mixer before. When did you get that? Do you love it? I pretty much use it exclusively now (unless I need a dough hook, obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like pound cake, because it's so delicious (!) but I don't make it because it has so much fat, I just can't deal with it! (even the thought of a whole pound of butter makes me a bit jittery!) So this is the perfect solution! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good. I have a pound cake recipe that is really ridiculous: 1 pound of butter, 1/2 pound cream cheese, 3 cups of sugar, 6 eggs, 1/4 c. cream - yikes!! The picture looked good but the ingredients scared me off, so I like your version much better! Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...