Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Apple Pumpkin Muffins

Friday mornings we have a prayer time with the female faculty in my department.  Because I am running into the meeting from teaching one 70-minute class, and running out 30 minutes later to teach another 70-minuter, I always am sneaking a second breakfast during that window. 

Last week, I had a flash of brilliance: rather than eat in front of my colleagues, why don’t I bring something to share with them?  Brilliant, I know. 

These muffins were just the answer. 

Combining my two loves of fall – sweet potatoes (i.e., pumpkin) and apples - into a yummy muffin. 

These were just what we needed after a rough week. 

Apple Sweet Potato Muffins – Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • Pinch of ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 C sweet potato puree {or pumpkin}
  • 1/2 C applesauce {unsweetened}
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 C milk
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 C chopped, tart apples

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together 1 2/3 C white whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, a pinch of ginger and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Stir well. 

In a second bowl, combine 3/4 C sweet potato puree, 1/2 C applesauce, 2 eggs, 1/3 C brown sugar, 1/4 C milk and 2 T olive oil.

 

Mix together the dry & wet ingredients until a batter forms. 

Finally, add in 1/2 C chopped, tart apples.  We used regent. 

Scoop muffin batter into lightly greased and/or lined muffin tins.  Fill tins 3/4 full. 

Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes. 

Allow the muffins to sit in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. 

If desired, serve with a cinnamon cream cheese!  I can only imagine how fabulous they would be with a cinnamon cream cheese slather… but they are mighty plain too. 

4 comments:

  1. I would love these muffins! They sound so good for a fall treat!! I also like your cozy header. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious. I have been wanting to make something with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Mine did too. When you make muffins with less oil/butter, they will stick. A friend told me a tip though -- cool them in the fridge and the paper will acquire condensation and peel right off. Haven't tried it with these muffins, but it has worked with others.

      I've found most success making healthier muffins without muffin liners.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...