Monday, March 25, 2013

Easter Bread {SRC}

This week is known as Holy Week in the Christian faith.  It’s the week preceding Easter – the week we remember Christ’s death and celebrate His resurrection. 

While Christmas time is filled with family traditions and expectation, Easter’s cultural traditions aren’t a huge part of our Holy Week.  I do enjoy all the bunnies and spring decorations that accompany Easter, but for a very different reason. 

Spring has come. 

The winter – cold and dark, when everything is in a season of death or hibernation – is over.  This is a beautiful parallel to my life, because of Christ.  My certain death is overcome.  All my shortcomings, failures, fears and challenges are gone.  Spring has come in my life and in my spirit indefinitely.  Why?  Because Jesus Christ rose from the grave.  He overcame death, so that I might have the ability to experience renewal – spring. 

So, this week, in advance of our Sunday morning celebration, is going to feature Easter recipes.  Recipes that make celebrating Easter just that much more special. 

The first recipe comes from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious and is a new recipe to me.  When scrolling through her blog for the Secret Recipe Club I found a fun recipe called “Grammy’s Italian Easter Bread”.  It looked delicious and perfect for an Easter celebration. 

You know recipes that have been in the family for a long time are going to be good. 

And, it was. 

Easter Bread – Adapted from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

Ingredients

  • 1/2 C milk
  • 1 T butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 C bread flour
  • 1 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp. yeast

Directions

Using your bread machine, add the ingredients in the order listed by your manufacturer.  Mine call for the ingredients in the order above – starting with the milk, butter, and eggs. 

Then adding in the sugar, salt, flours and yeast. 

Choose the “basic” or “white” bread recipe selection from your bread machine and start the machine up!

Approximately 2.5 hours later (that’s how long my cycle takes), remove the bread.  You’ll want to check the crust to make sure it’s not getting overly brown. 

Allow the bread to cool before slicing. 

Serve with butter and honey! 

**If you want directions on how to make this recipe without a bread machine, or using a hybrid approach (half bread machine, half by hand), see Dorothy’s blog.

14 comments:

  1. Love this type of bread, so fluffy and with a smooth crumb...

    Great choice for the SRC!

    Have a great Reveal Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Easter bread, but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. We did! And, today we used the leftovers in French Toast :) Delicious.

      Delete
  4. Your photography skills have really been growing!!! Great job! He is risen indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! I was blessed by your comment yesterday.

      Delete
  5. This is only lovely looking loaf of bread. I'll bet it smelled simply amazing as it was baking. Happy Easter to you and yours.
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love homemade bread! This looks so good. Great pick this month. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE egg enriched Brioche style bread! Great SRC pick, and hello from a fellow group D SRC player! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Easter bread..sounds yummy! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this either but have bookmarked to try this weekend. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful loaf of bread!! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bread looks great! I can never get my bread to look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why I don't use my bread machine more often. This took me all of 5 minutes to throw in there. Excited to see how it turns out! Egg-enriched breads are usually my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...