Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Egg Salad Sandwiches {two ways}

Making egg salad is the fastest (and in my opinion, tastiest) way to use up leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter. 

This year, I tried a new twist on my family favorite recipe: using Greek Yogurt.  I loved it.  Made for a tasty and healthier sandwich. 

We also tried a deviled egg style egg salad – yummy!  All we added was a little dried mustard and a pinch of sugar. 

Egg Salad Sandwiches

Ingredients 

  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 2-4 T Plain Greek Yogurt (not vanilla)
  • 1 T Olive Oil Mayo
  • Dash of paprika
  • Pinch of salt & pepper
  • Optional: celery seeds, finely diced celery or red bell pepper
  • For deviled egg style: 1/2 tsp. dried mustard, and a pinch of sugar
  • Sandwich Bread (we recommend this whole wheat sandwich bread)

Directions

Begin by peeling your hard boiled eggs.  Rinse eggs with cool water once peeled.  Then, slice the eggs in half.  Remove the yolk from 3 of your eggs.  (Note: you can leave all your yolks in to make the sandwich, but I prefer them with more egg whites than yolk in my sandwich). 

Finely chop your eggs.  You can do this by hand, or use a food processor/chopper to accomplish this.  I’ve done it both ways and the food chopper sure is easy! 

When chopped, add in 1 T mayo (we love the kind that is made with olive oil), and 2 T of plain Greek Yogurt (we used Fage). 

Season with a pinch of paprika, salt and pepper. 

Stir. 

  • If more moisture is needed, add in more Greek Yogurt, 1 T at at time until desired consistency is reached. 
  • If you wish for more of a “deviled egg” style egg salad, then add in 1/2 tsp. dried mustard, along with a pinch of sugar. 
  • Finally, if desired, add a pinch of celery seed, 1/8 C diced celery or 1/8 C diced red pepper. 

Enjoy your egg salad sandwich! 

8 comments:

  1. The yogurt tip is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely brilliant. Do you know that?

    I LOVE egg salad. I grew up eating lots of egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches because a little bit could be spread a long way and feed more people than say a package of lunch meat. But, lately my mom has completely gone almost egg phobic because of the cholesterol that is in the egg yolks. I don't know how right or wrong my mom is, but when your mom tells ya something, there's this little part of you that makes you hesitant to eat a bunch of yolks LOL.

    I LOVE the idea of using mostly whites and just a couple of yolks to make a batch of egg salad! And the yogurt and olive oil may just adds to the perfection!

    Thanks so much for this recipe. I already know what I'm making for lunch for tomorrow! Egg salad!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg white:yolk ratio was something I couldn't believe I hadn't done earlier. It made a huge difference.

      Delete
  3. I use a potato masher to chop my eggs - super simple and less messy than the food processor! I love the idea of "deviled egg" egg salad - I will definitely try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip on using the potato masher. Love that I wouldn't have to clean the food processor :)

      Delete
  4. I made this egg salad this morning. I made mine using one whole boiled egg and the whites for two boiled eggs. I used greek yogurt (man, is that stuff yummy - my first time trying greek yogurt) and a little olive oil myho (although I think it would be great with yogurt only). I also added a little tiny bit of prepared mustard and a teaspoon of sweet relish because that's the way I normally make egg salad. I usually always look forward to lunch, but his morning I'm REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to lunch! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had egg salad in years and I have chickens ! Thanks so much for the recipe. I am always looking for ways to use up all of these eggs I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted you to know that I did blog about your egg salad recipe this week. Mostly I like to post the good food I'm cooking so that I can make it AGAIN! I hope you don't mind that I post your recipes often. They are always delicious and I want to remember the recipes for good food! My post is here:

    http://athomemyway.blogspot.com/2013/04/lunch-ideas-egg-salad-sandwiches.html

    Thanks so much for always providing great inspiration!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...