Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Cake


A couple weeks back I spied a recipe from Phoebe for chocolate oatmeal cake -- wow, did it ever look delicious.  And, we all know how much I love oats around here :)

I needed a treat to share with my two girlfriends who came over for lunch before one of them moved to Montana, so I whipped up a half batch of this cake.  


It was so moist and delicious -- kind of gooey like a brownie, and oh, so tasty!  I didn't use the original topping with this cake but ended up eating it with decadent chocolate frosting, some later with ice cream and some plain too!  It was wonderful all three ways :)


It could be a healthier alternative to brownies, if you're not feeling brave enough to try black bean brownies, that is :)  

Thanks, Phoebe for a great recipe!!

Oatmeal Chocolate Cake - Adapted from Phoebe at Getting Freedom

1/2 C old fashioned oats
3/4 C boiling water
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 C applesauce
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C white wheat flour
1/4 C dark chocolate cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C milk

Begin by mixing the oats and water together.  Allow the mixture to stand while making up the rest of the cake (about 10 minutes or so).

Before


After

Meanwhile, cream together the butter, applesauce and sugar.



Then, mix in the egg.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, soda and salt.


Add the dry mixture to the creamed one a little bit at a time, stirring to combine.



Then, pour in the oatmeal mixture.


Add in the milk and vanilla.

When mixed, pour into a greased 8x8 glass baking dish.  {I thought about sprinkling with chocolate chips -- and likely will do that next time!}


Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting cake. I think I can hear it calling my name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so moist and delicious.
    Yummy! I think my 10 year would love this, and so will I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so eat that right out of the oven with vanilla icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! We might be having a bbq this weekend and if we do, I think I will make this to serve with my first batch of homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum, those look and sound so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is heart healthy, right? :) This looks so delicious. What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things I love - oatmeal and chocolate. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad I read your post today! I had copied down your black bean brownie recipe and like a dork didn't remember where it was from! I did a post about it on Tuesday. I went back in to my post today and added the link to your recipe. So sorry, the aging process has not been good to my memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! Maybe it will be a good way to use up leftover oatmeal! I live in MT! I hope your friend likes it here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...