Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Summer Squash & Oat Muffins

This year, we tried a new vegetable in our garden: summer squash.  If quantity of produce is indicative of success, then we have a winner.  We’ve been picking at least one summer squash a day

The abundance of summer squash led me to Pinterest where I searched and searched for recipes using summer squash.  It seemed like I could use summer squash in baked goods as I would zucchini, so I decided to give it a try. 

Oats, honey and summer squash made these muffins extra delicious and moist.  We loved enjoying them with our friends (yes, having friends in town means time for new recipes) over the weekend for breakfast with cherry butter, and as an afternoon snack while hiking around the arboretum. 

Summer Squash & Oat Muffins – Adapted from Meet Me in the Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 1 C whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 C old fashioned oats
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 egg
  • 1 C buttermilk
  • 1/4 C Greek Yogurt (or unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1/4 C honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 C shredded summer squash

Directions

In a large bowl, mix 1 C whole wheat flour and 1/2 C white whole wheat flour.  Add 2 C old fashioned oats, 3 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon and  1/4 tsp. nutmeg.  Mix well. 

Add in 1 egg, 1 C buttermilk, 1/4 C Greek Yogurt (or applesauce), 1/4 C honey (be sure to use the honey trick!), and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.  Stir well until a nice batter forms. 

Mix in 2 C shredded summer squash.  {here’s where I got distracted by our friends and failed to take photos until we had just one muffin left!}

Partition into 12 lightly greased or lined muffin tins.  You’ll fill the tins quite full (more than 3/4 full). 

Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, until tops are slightly brown and the center is set. 

Serve with cherry blueberry preserve, or your favorite jam.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These look so tasty! How many oats do you use? Are they quick or rolled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great catch! Sorry I missed that. I've updated the recipe -- 1 C old fashioned oats.

      Delete
  2. These muffins sound amazing! I was at the Farmer's Market this morning and had a hankering for squash. I immediately went to my phone and looked at your site and saw these. I then went and bought some squash! I will be making them today. I'm so excited!
    We moved at the beginning of March and didn't get to a garden this year. I was bummed. But I have been busy prepping an area this year and can't wait to plant one next year. I'm glad to know squash is easy to grow! How many plants do you have??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...