Sunday, January 11, 2009

SnoWhite's Broccoli Hotdish


My mom starting making this for me when I was a little girl... to this day, it's still one of my favorites - combining broccoli and mushrooms :)



SnoWhite's Broccoli Hotdish - Mom
{Print Recipe}

10-oz pkg. frozen broccoli (or fresh)
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 C chicken broth
1 (4oz) can mushroom pieces, with liquid (salt free)
2 C sliced/shredded cooked chicken, or turkey
Bread crumbs, or stove top stuffing

Cook broccoli. Melt butter, and mix with flour in a small saucepan. Cook briefly. Add chicken broth and stir until mix is thick and smooth (pudding-like consistency). Add mushrooms (and liquid) to the cream, and remove from heat. (you can use more mushrooms ... 8oz, is great!).

Place broccoli in the bottom of an 8 inch casserole dish. Cover with chicken. Pour mushroom sauce over the broccoli/chicken layers. Top with bread crumbs or dry stove top stuffing. Bake uncovered at 375 for 15-25 minutes or untl hotdish is bubbly and brown.

Enjoy... and think of being 5 all over again.

Check out more broccoli recipes at Tammy's In-Season Recipe Swap!

5 comments:

  1. This literally makes my mouth water! John is currently in his "vegetables are evil and yucky" phase that I guess all kids probably go through ... but I'll still be making this soon and if he doesn't eat any of it, more for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to make this, but we don't like mushrooms. Any ideas on what would be a good substitute? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @thetumpaks

    I would use simply a chicken broth base -- making it the same way, just omitting the mushrooms. You might want to up the broccoli or chicken in the recipe to compensate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would fresh mushrooms work? Would you Suggest any changes for the fresh? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few times I've made this dish, I've used fresh mushrooms. Just saute them in a pan until liquid forms; then, add the butter and flour and continue on as directed (except omitting the addition of canned mushrooms). Enjoy!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...