Sunday, March 1, 2009

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I collected so many fun breakfasts during February (as it was Hot Breakfast Month) and this was one of them. This blueberry breakfast cake is delicious... and would make an excellent dessert too!

The original recipe called for all-white flour, but I decided to try making it with a mix of white/wheat to make it healthier... I also exchanged some brown sugar for white as well.



Yummy Blueberry Breakfast Cake - Modified from Long Ladies

5 T butter, softened
1/2 C white sugar (generous)
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 C sour cream (I used fat free)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C white flour
1 C wheat flour
2 C fresh or frozen blueberries

Cream together softened butter and sugars. Add egg, vanilla, and sour cream and mix gently.


In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, and slowly add into the creamed mix.


Mix until just moistened.


Add blueberries and stir to combine.


Spray a 9x13 pan, and spread the cake mix into a pan.


Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Test for doneness with a toothpick.


Allow to cool, and serve warm.


Yum. This warms up excellently.

Next time, I'm going to reduce the butter even more and substitute applesauce in... I think that will be delicious, and make this breakfast cake even more healthy.

This recipe is shared at Tempt My Tummy TuesdayTasty Tuesday and Ingredient Spotlight

12 comments:

  1. This looks great. We love blueberries with breakfast. I made you baked oatmeal, this morning. I loved it. My toddler hasn't decided yet. Thanks for sharing your recipes and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just addicted to blueberries so I have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves any type of food with blue berries so I will be tucking this away for a treat...Perhaps I'll have time to make this tomorrow as I think I have all the ingredients!? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! This sounds delish!! :D I love how you made it healthier, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love blueberrys at our house. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blueberries! I would love to eat this for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look wonderful - I bet it will be great with applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was craving a cranberry/orange scone, so when I found this recipe yesterday, I substituted the blueberries with cranberries (dried) and added some orange zest and about 1/4 cup orange juice. I also took 1/2 cup orange juice, some orange zest and 2 cups powdered sugar and made a glaze. (alot, I know, but I was trying to use up the orange juice) When the cake cooled a bit, I just poured the glaze on top and spread it evenly. Everyone loved it! It was declicious with coffee! And my husband really liked the flavor of the wheat flour in it. Thanks for this recipe. I can't wait to try it with blueberries next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm out of sour cream...would plain yogurt be ok to substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really enjoyed this! you can taste the whole wheat flour but in this recipe thats a good thing-- i really liked the texture. it was a definitely hit for the whole family

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...