Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Bread




Lemon Blueberry Bread

1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C sugar
1/4 C butter, softened
1/4 C applesauce
1/2 C lemon juice (or lemonade)
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 T lemon zest
~3/4 C blueberries (I used fresh)

Cream together the softened butter and sugar. Then, add in applesauce, stirring until fluffy.



Add in the egg and egg white, and mix well.



Then, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.



Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, alternating with the 1/2 C lemon juice (or lemonade).



Stir until moist.



Wash and clean 1/2 - 3/4 C blueberries (if fresh), or use frozen berries (do not thaw). Add to the mixture. Top with lemon zest and stir in to the batter.





Pour into a greased loaf pan.



Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Allow the bread to cool, almost completely before trying to remove it from the pan, or slice it! We were eager to try it, and thus, the bread slice didn't look so good, but it tasted great :)





Verdict: We liked it. It's a moist bread, and it's tart. If you use lemonade or add a lemon glaze (e.g., powdered sugar and lemon juice), you'd likely end up with a more sweet taste. I like the combination of the tartness and the sweet glaze myself :)

This post is linked to Share My Recipe Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Yum-o! This is definitely going on my list. Blueberries are my favourite fruit to bake with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks AWESOME. We have a family full of blueberry lovers here and so I've been trying to widen my repertoire

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread loooks yummy! I love the combination of lemon and blueberry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good!! Now you have me craving lemon bread!
    Thanks for adding it to my Share my Recipe Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is in my oven right now! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quick breads and this one is something my family would love. It has my husbands favorite lemon and my favorite blueberries a recipe made from heaven. Geri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...