Thursday, June 17, 2010

Monkey Cake



This weekend, I helped throw my sister-in-law a baby shower!!



She and her husband are not finding out the gender of the baby, so they chose monkeys as the "theme" for this little one!



A few weeks ago, I spied this awesome monkey cake from Our Best Bites. If you haven't been over to visit this blog, do! They make me hungry all.the.time.

This cake looked really easy to make and turned out super cute in the end.  I knew I needed to make it for Mindy's shower.


The unique thing about this cake is that you bake it in a 1-2 qt metal mixing bowl.  Since I had never done this before, I made a trial run of it before the shower.


And, it was a good thing I did!

The cake looked so promising in the bowl, but I didn't leave it cool long enough....


:(

Oh well.  I had a little chocolate cake to eat up!

The second time around worked wonderfully.


How cute is this monkey?!


Monkey Cake - Adapted from Our Best Bites
{Print Recipe}

1 recipe chocolate (or vanilla) cake
1 recipe decadent chocolate frosting
1/4 recipe vanilla frosting
3 Oreo Cookies
2 mini Oreo Cookies

Prepare the cake according to the directions.  Bake the cake in a 1-2 quart metal mixing bowl.  Bake at 350 for the time that is suggested for the Bundt cake; abotu 45 minutes.  Remove when the center is set (toothpick comes out clean).

Allow the cake to set for 20 minutes or so to cool down.  When slightly cooled, use a rubber spatula to loosen the cake from the pan.  To do so, slide the rubber spatula down the curve of the bowl going as far towards the bottom of the bowl as you can get.

Invert the cake on to a cooling wrack or onto the serving plate you wish to use.  Allow the cake to fully cool while you prepare the frosting recipes.


When the cake is cooled, frost with chocolate frosting.  Then, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes until frosting is set.

Add the white frosting to make the mouth region on the monkey.  Then, chill again.

Finally, pipe on the mouth and nose!


Crush one of the large cookies and sprinkle on the monkey's head for hair.
Stick the other two cookies into the side of the cake for the monkey's ears.
Finally, use the two small cookies for the eyes.

Chill if necessary to set the cake.


Serve and enjoy!



Photobucket

This post is linked to:

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE Our Best Bites! :) And this is the cutest little cake I've ever seen. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. drooling. That is amazing! I bet she was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the monkey theme!

    I've never baked a cake in a mixing bowl...interesting...I'll deffinitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Thanks for the tip on cooking in the metal bowl, I would have rushed it and tried to unmold too soon, too. Now I know better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, it is so cute. Your SIL and I should compare notes on our nurseries :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable cake! I'll have to show this to my friend. Her son will be a year old soon and she calls him Monkey! It will be perfect!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute idea of a baby shower or even a bday party theme...I'll have to remember this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a great cake for my little monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally cute monkey, but I really wanted to comment on your absolutely adorable new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for a baby shower when you don't know the gender. I really like the monkey cake - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute!!! Looks like a great shower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to ask you to check out the recipe I posted today. From reading your blogs it just might be something you would like to try.
    mylovehatewithpackinglunches@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez--cooking in a bowl to make a round cake! Why didn't I think of that?!? I wonder if I can adapt this to make a cow for my son, Angus', first birthday party?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The monkey cake is adorable! And I love the new blog design. I have some recipe's to catch up on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are wild about monkeys! Your cake turned out Adorable and the cupcakes surrounding it just add that extra special yummy touch :)

    My youngest daughter would luv that as her birthday cake!

    I have to remember to bake in a bowl for a round cake.. Great Tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...