Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Maple Oat Scones


I've never made scones before -- in fact, I don't believe I've ever had a real scone before.  Sure, I've made muffin-like scones {lemon blueberry ones!}, but not real scones.  The kind you buy in the coffee shop scones.


A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a friend asking me if I had a recipe for Maple Oat Scones -- and I set out on a quest to develop a recipe for such a request.


These were delightful to enjoy with a warm cup of apple honey tea on a sunny fall Saturday morning!  Perfect for before and after our morning walk ;-)

Hey... Pippin says there are first and second breakfasts, right?!


Maple Oat Scones - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

Scones
1 egg
1/2 C buttermilk
1/4 C maple syrup
2 1/4 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 C quick cooking oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 T butter, cubed

Glaze
1/4 - 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/8 C maple syrup
1 T milk

Mix together egg, buttermilk and maple syrup.


Then, in another bowl, combine the dry ingredients.


Slowly add the dry ingredients to the moist ingredients.


Then, slowly add the cubed butter to the mixing batter and allow the dough to knead for 5ish minutes.  I used my mixer to do this.


Shape the dough into a ball, and then freeze for 5 minutes.


Then, roll the dough flat into a large rectangle.


Roll up the dough and press with your hands to flatten.  The dough should now resemble a rectangle.



Slice the rectangle into 4 equal portions.


Cut each portion diagonally in half.


Place the halves onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 for 18 minutes, until scones are lightly browned.


Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar, syrup and milk together to form a glaze.



Drizzle over the warm scones and serve.



Photobucket

This recipe is linked to:

11 comments:

  1. WOW...these look delish! I've never tried to make scones before, but you might be able to twist my arm with this one. Great step by step pictures...that is SO helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't Pipin say two breakfasts and two lunches also? I love that movie, haven't watched it in ages!
    The scones look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look lovely! I bake scones at a local bakery and we don't use eggs, only heavy whipping cream. It's amazing how they rise! I love the oats in the scones, great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have GOT to make these...I LOVE scones. Yum! Thank you so much for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a scone-aholic and these look wonderful! I am planning a fall brunch and these look perfect for the occasion :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scones are awesome, a quick grab to for the ride into work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is like the 3rd scone recipe I've seen today, I so have to try to make some now, looks delicious, love the step by step pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those scones are bakery quality. The maple oat combination sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy! You need to open up your own restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog, I am a new follower and you inspire me to want to cook, I just wish I had more time...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...