Wednesday, February 29, 2012

White Whole Wheat {baked} Buttermilk Donuts

Happy Leap Day!  Because today is a special day, I thought I’d share a special recipe – one for yummy buttermilk donuts.  Frog Prince and I don’t make donuts all that often, so this is an extra special treat. 

Frog Prince got me a donut pan for my birthday, so this gave me a good excuse to break it in. I had some trouble figuring out how full to fill the tin {never mind the nearly hole-less donuts in the photo below}, but once I got that straightened out, we had delicious and perfectly shaped donuts in no time at all. 

The first time out of the gate with this pan, I used the recipe that came with the pan from Nordic Ware.  Of course, I made it healthier by trying it out using white whole wheat flour. 

They were a great doughnut – a simple, basic recipe that was good with glaze, powdered sugar, and dark chocolate honey fudge melted over the top as frosting!

If you don’t have a donut pan, just use a mini muffin tin to make donut holes!

White Whole Wheat {baked} Buttermilk Donuts – Adapted from Nordic Ware

Ingredients

  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 4 T corn starch
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 C buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 T melted butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions

Begin by measuring out the flour.  Once you have 2 C white whole wheat flour in a large bowl, remove 4 T of the flour and return it to the bag.  Replace that flour with 4 T corn starch.  Then, using a flour sifter or a wire whisk, blend the corn starch into the flour mixture.  You now have a white whole wheat cake flour variety! 

Add the 1/2 C sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, & 1/2 tsp. salt to the flour and sift or whisk together. 

Pour in 3/4 C buttermilk and 1 T melted butter.  Add in the 2 eggs and 1 tsp. vanilla. 

Beat the wet & dry ingredients together until just combined.

Fill the donut mold 1/2 way with batter.  If you are using a mini muffin tin to make donut holes, fill them 2/3 of the way full. 

Bake the donuts at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until the top springs back after being touched lightly with your finger.  If you are making donut holes, check them after about 8 minutes. 

Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to a cooling rack. 

If you wish to make a glaze, use powdered sugar, vanilla & water, or use chocolate frosting to frost the top of the donuts.  Cinnamon sugar was a hit on these too – just be sure to use a light butter mist to get the sugar to stick. 

Makes 18 donuts.  Best served the same day you make them, so if you don’t eat them all right away, freeze the leftovers.  They’ll taste just as great the next time you serve them, especially if you reserve adding the topping until you eat them. 

8 comments:

  1. These look delicious!!! And what a great idea to use a mini muffin tin for donut holes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how fun! I definitely need a donut pan. Although donut holes are a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these this morning using mini muffin tins and a powdered sugar glaze -so delicious! I promised my preschooler a "special" breakfast since I kept her home from preschool today b/c of bad weather and roads. This fit the bill and what a great recipe!! I subbed pumpkin pie spice for nutmeg. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone was wondering, half this recipe makes 24 "donut holes." that was more than plenty for our family. Thanks for the good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even heard of baked doughnuts!! That alone makes them healthier and then add in some whole wheat...loving it!

    *must get doughnut pan*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have new doughnut pan I haven't yet used. This recipe seems just the one to start with. I have been craving maple bars. Maybe frosting these with some maple frosting would cure that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can this pan be used for bagels, too??? I'm not into donuts but LOVE bagels...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      I haven't tried with the bagels *yet* but the thought has crossed my mind! I don't see why it wouldn't work.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...