Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ingredient Spotlight: Zucchini & Summer Squash

Our garden is just starting to produce our first fruits – literally!  We picked our first zucchini (n=2) and summer squash (n=1) this weekend.  Yum!! 

Zucchini and Summer Squash are summer staples and not only do they almost grow like weeds, they are good for you too!

  • Low-calorie
  • Peels are great sources of fiber
  • Albeit low, they do have antioxidant chemicals
  • Summer squash have carotenes antioxidant), and folate
  • High in potassium and vitamin A

Here are our favorite ways to enjoy zucchini:

Stuffed in Chicken Parmesan Burgers

Cinnamon Zucchini Cake – This cake is a family recipe and one of my favorites.  Did I mention it has cream cheese frosting?!

Zucchini, Carrot and Black Bean Rice My favorite quesadilla deconstructed. 

Apple, Carrot & Zucchini Muffins – at 100 calories & 1 g of fat per muffin coupled with 6 C of produce in these muffins, this is a snack we can feel good about!

Zucchini Pizza Casserole – Completely gluten-free and amazing! 

Zucchini Bread Baked OatmealEven better than the bread, trust me!

Zucchini Chips – Dehydrate those squash for your next family movie night!

Zucchini BurgersDon’t knock ‘em until you’ve tried ‘em!

Need more ideas?  Here are 10 of our favorite ways to use zucchini; including as noodles and for breakfast!

What are your favorite zucchini & summer squash dishes? 

 

Join us next week for a double feature – pasta & basil! 

3 comments:

  1. I linked up three - sorry to be a link hog but it was hard to decide! Let me know if you're overrun with zukes - I don't have a garden, so I'd happily take some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently did a round up of all my zucchini recipes, since I had several! So I just linked up the one post, but it includes several that I've made over the years. I so miss having a garden! Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to try to cinnamon cake! looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...