Sunday, March 21, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes



Last week, I scored a quart of buttermilk for $0.80!  I never buy buttermilk... just usually make my own by adding vinegar to milk.  But, with this treat, I decided to not only make Irish Soda Bread, but make some delicious buttermilk pancakes!



This recipe is a family recipe from a friend I traveled to Ecuador with while I was in college -- she suggested I make these pancakes when she heard I had buttermilk!  I'm so glad she did -- these are delicious.

I edited the recipe a bit -- used all whole wheat flour (a mixture of my favorite white wheat flour and whole wheat) and used applesauce in place of the oil!  Thus, these gems are a little healthier for you.

Buttermilk Pancakes - From Laura Vander Molen's Grandma

Fill Batch
3 eggs
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C oil*
1/4 tsp. salt
1 quart (4 C) buttermilk
2 3/4 tsp. baking soda
4 C flour**

Half Batch
1 egg
1/4 C sugar
1/6 C oil*
1/8 tsp. salt
2 C buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 C flour**

*I used all applesauce
**I used whole wheat and white whole wheat in a 1:1 ratio

Combine all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.



Add in the applesauce/oil, buttermilk and eggs.



Stir until moistened. Add additional buttermilk or milk, if needed in order to get your pancakes to the right consistency.



Preheat your griddle to 350. Use a soup ladle and pour out your pancakes.



Cook about 5 minutes per side - or until pancakes are lightly browned.



Serve warm -- these were especially delicious with apple-y topping!

These froze really well, so we are enjoying the leftovers!!

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Love buttermilk pancakes! My recipe is just a little bit different. :) I try to make mine with more whole wheat than white so they are more hearty for my crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sonshine -- thanks, I'll stop by and look at your recipe.

    I used all whole wheat in this one, a 1:1 ratio of King Arthur Flour's White Whole Wheat and their regular Whole Wheat! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding these to the menu! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed picking blueberries at a friend's this evening. I had all intentions on sometime this week looking up a blueberry pancake recipe! How ironic that I'm just browsing over your menu post & come across this. Can't wait to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some leftover buttermilk from another recipe so I'm making these tomorrow night! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...