Thursday, October 20, 2011

{31 Days} Cooking from Scratch: DIY Dips

With football season upon us, homemade fruit, veggie and chip dips are a great treat for your fans.  Some of our favorite dips include:


Perfect Fall Fruit Dip

If you are looking for a real treat this fall – make your own caramel apple dip.  You won’t be sorry that you did.  In fact, I like this recipe so much, I’m sharing it today as part of the Improv Cooking Challenge for October which focuses on Caramels & Apples!

Caramel Apple Dip

Ingredients

  • 1/4 C butter
  • 1/8 C whipping cream (or evaporated milk)
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • Apples – we love Haralson for this dip

Directions

Combine the 1/4 C butter, 1/8 C whipping cream and 1/2 C brown sugar in a large saucepan. 

Slowly, begin to melt this goodness together over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Allow the mixture to come to a slow boil, and boil for 1-2 minutes. 

Remove from the burner, and allow the caramel sauce to cool down a bit; again – stir during this process. 

When cooled slightly, transfer to a serving dish, or a canning jar.  Serve with apples. 

We LOVE this dip.  We’ve enjoyed it in our caramel apple upside down cake, or in our most recent indulgence: vanilla ice cream, topped with crushed graham crackers, freshly sliced apples and drizzled caramel.  Yum-o. 

What’s your favorite dip? 

Linked to: URS

The Improve Cooking Challenge

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This was such a fun challenge! Your dip looks a-mazing! I will give that a try, for sure! I'm pinning you on pinterest right now, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your recipe!!! Thanks for participating in THE IMPROV COOKING CHALLENGE! I can't wait to see what you make next month with Pumpkin and Cream Cheese!
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks fabulous!! So many yummy things you can make with this delicious sauce...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm Mmmm I love apples dipped in caramel sauce. I'll have to try this recipe next time I make some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How am I just now seeing this taco dip on your blog?!? That looks delish!!! Off to check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... I have to try this on ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for a party tomorrow- Fall Fest here we come! Thanks for the perfect, simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter especially would love this, I need to give it a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge recipe: Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this but it turned out more the consistency of a cooked frosting. Delicious but not a caramel consistency. Any thoughts? Over cooked? Under cooked?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...