Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ingredient Spotlight: Asparagus

Asparagus is a fabulous spring vegetable.  I love it’s scientific name: Asparagus officinalis. The official asparagus.  Clever. 

File:Asparagus-Bundle.jpg

While now abundantly grown as a veggie in the US, asparagus is native to Europe and Africa. 

Thanks to Wikipedia I know that the Emperor Augustus used to say “faster than cooking asparagus” to encourage people to move/do things quickly.  That made me laugh out loud and want to bring back that phrase.  I kid.  Kind of. 

Asparagus is a diuretic (i.e., induces the production of urine) and is high in fiber.  It’s a great source of calcium, magnesium, folic acid, and many vitamins (e.g. Vitamin K). 

File:Asparagus image.jpg

When you use asparagus, you don’t want to eat the woody end.  Therefore, if you hold asparagus up and aim to break the end off, where it naturally splits is the transition from the woody part to the non-woody tissue.  Although some have tried this method and prefer just cutting off the ends.

Our favorite go-to asparagus recipes include:

Ham & Asparagus Lasagna – Always a hit!

Simple Roasted Asparagus – This makes a wonderful side dish.  During the summer, you can make this on the grill.  Oh. So. Good. 

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole – This is a favorite at our house and the pairing of asparagus with kielbasa sausage is wonderful. 

Roasted Veggie ParmesanRoasting asparagus, tossing it with other yummy veggies and smothering it with a Parmesan cheese sauce…. with Italian sausage.  We love it. 

What are your favorite ways to enjoy asparagus?  

 

PS – if you missed last week, we featured Strawberries!  And, be sure to join us next week for BLUEBERRIES. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had an asparagus recipe to share! My husband doesn't like it so I don't usually make it. When I do, I get to eat it all myself! I usually roast it and then drizzle with a quick syrup of butter, balsamic, and soy sauce. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE this recipe: Lemony Risotto with Asparagus http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemony-Risotto-with-Asparagus-and-Shrimp-352773

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait to try your breakfast casserole with kielbasa and asparagus - and I love the saying about "faster than cooking asparagus!" Hilarious. You should definitely bring it back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...