Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ingredient Spotlight: Mushrooms

Mushrooms!  Who’s with me – awesome, right? 

I know some folks have a strong dislike of mushrooms.  If that’s you – have you tried baby bella mushrooms?  Or, mushrooms cooked and not raw/from a can?  There is no comparison. 

And, they’re amazing for you too, mushrooms…

  • are a great source of Vitamin D.  In fact, they are the only food-based source of this essential vitamin. 
  • are filling, but low in calories which make them a great add-in to meat-based dishes (e.g., sloppy joe’s, burgers, etc).
  • boost the immune system by helping mature immune system cells.
  • have antioxidant levels that match the red bell pepper!
  • have high levels of vitamin B, which help boost your metabolism.

Here are our favorite ways to eat mushrooms:

Roasted Vegetable Summer Salad

Mushroom & Kale Stroganoff

Italian Sausage Mushroom Stromboli

Remy’s Ratatouille

Chicken & Spinach Skillet

Canadian Bacon & Mushroom Pizza

Mushroom & Mozzarella Melt

Spinach & Mushroom Quesadillas

How do you enjoy mushrooms? 

 

Don’t forget to visit next week when we feature a double spotlight: cream cheese & fruit.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm late linking up! I love mushrooms so I had three great recipes to share...naturally they all include another one of my favs - pasta!

    That "spinach and mushroom pasta" doesn't have a picture, but it's totally worth the click over. Super simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I detest mushrooms but my husband loves them and I want my kids eating everything so I bought 2 packets of mushrooms today to try out a few recipes for them, and who knows maybe ill end up finding a way to cook them that ill like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can be off and on about mushrooms, but I love them on steak, in omelets, and on pizza!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...