Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In-Season Recipe Swap: Milk


I LOVE sharing great recipes. Tammy over at Tammy's Recipes has started hosting an "In-Season" recipe swap, on Wednesdays, where people share great recipes dealing with items that are in season.

Eating meals with in-season products often results in better quality foods, less transportation to and from stores (especially when you buy local and in season) and allows you to change up your foods seasonally (adding variety).

This weeks theme is milk! While I really can't stand to actually sit and drink a glass of milk (unless of course it's ice cold at the fair), I do love milk (and its derivatives) in many of my favorite dishes. I love it in ice cream, in wild rice soup, in baked oatmeal, in pudding and in waffles.

But, today, the recipe I have that uses the most milk (3 C) is a recipe that's also stuffed full of seasonal veggies!


Confetti Chowder - Mom

1 C carrots, diced
1 C zucchini, diced
1 C broccoli, chopped into florets
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C celery, chopped
1/4 C flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. sugar
3 C skim milk
1 C low-sodium, reduced fat chicken broth
1 C corn (if using frozen, thaw first)
1 C fully cooked ham, diced
1/2 C peas (if using frozen, thaw first)
1 C reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded

Saute carrots, zucchini, onion, broccoli, onion and celery for about 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender.

Add broth, and allow veggies to continue to simmer. (I used my homemade veggie broth, which I have frozen into "ice" cubes)

Meanwhile, combine flour and milk and whisk to mix well.

Sprinkle pepper, and sugar over the veggies and mix well.

Add milk mixture and stir until thickened and bubbly.

Add corn, peas and ham* and cook until heated through.

*I used leftover turkey bacon today... delicious


Remove from heat and stir in freshly grated cheese until melted. (mom's note... don't add frozen cheese ... make sure cheese is freshly grated and at room temperature, and the soup cools down just a bit to avoid curdling).




Yield: 12, 1 C servings that have 163 calories and 5 g of fat.

This recipe is linked to:
Sir Ham A Lot: Leftover Ham Recipe Swap, Ingredient Spotlight

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious!! :) Thanks for sharing! Is it your mom's recipe? :)

    When will you have a picture of your food up? :) I can't really make an exception since I am not making exceptions for anyone else on the photo part... I see you have photos of a lot of your other recipes/foods so I am hopeful you can get one of this and re-submit, because it sounds great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the photos! It looks beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! Thanks for adding it to our recipes!
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...