Sunday, March 28, 2010

Menu - March 28










Before we get down to business, I need to wish my grandma a very happy birthday!  My grandma turns 91 today, and she's an amazing lady... still living on her own, working and volunteering nearly every day of the week, gardening and cooking up a storm!  And -- get this -- she does not take ANY medications.  None.  Zilch.  Zero. Nada.  Wow.


She raised 9 {yes, nine} kids together with my grandfather and is a true farmer.  She's an amazing lady, and I'm blessed to be her granddaughter!  It was fun to see her on my visit a few weeks ago... but I don't have any excellent photos of her, because she glared at me when I tried to take her photo.  

Happy Birthday, Grandma!  

Now, for the food -- last week, we enjoyed:




(made with whole wheat crust)






Crockpot Chicken
(I finally did it!)

 
(with leftover chicken)


('cuz we all need a little chocolate, right?!)


Saturday, our menu plan flew right out the window.  I hosted a wedding shower for my dear friend Kim, and the boys had a day-o-fun (they went flying -- one of our friends has his pilot's license) while we ladies had our shower!  All that fun meant we didn't get home in time to make Lucy's Chili before church, so that's on our menu for tonight.

I scored a great deal on organic spinach this week, so many of our recipes include spinach!  What are your favorite recipes in which to use spinach?  I am also including our Easter menu -- with our favorite whole wheat zucchini carrot cake!!

Sunday
Breakfast - Veggie Omelet (with spinach), grapefruit


Monday
Breakfast - Pineapple Pancakes (freezer), fresh pineapple
Dinner - Minestrone with Spinach, garlic bread (new)


Tuesday
Breakfast - Oatmeal Muffins (freezer), grapefruit
Dinner - Brown Rice Casserole (new), green beans


Wednesday
Breakfast - Pancakes (freezer), fresh pineapple
Dinner - Veggie Stir Fry, with Brown Rice


Thursday
Breakfast - Oatmeal Muffins (freezer), dried fruit
Dinner - Leftovers
Dessert for Life Group: Chocolate Oatmeal Cake (new)


Friday
Breakfast - Baked Oatmeal (carry over)
Dinner - Baked Veggie Sandwich and Roasted Sweet Potatoes



Saturday
Breakfast - French Toast, apple-y topping
Dinner - Spinach Mushroom Calzone

Sunday {Easter}!
Breakfast - Veggie Scramble
Dinner - Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, Green Bean Hotdish, and Lucy's Dinner Rolls
Dessert - Whole Wheat Carrot Zucchini Cake

15 comments:

  1. Oh man, all of that food looks/sounds sooo good. You always give me so many great ideas!

    That's so funny that your grandma glared at the camera when you tried to take her picture. My grandma was the same way-- we only have a few pictures of her now and she's making goofy faces in all of them. We don't mind though, it reminds us of how funny she was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my husband just made some stinging nettle for us to use as a substitute for spinach. I'll have to see if I can try some of your recipes with spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Grandma! That's awesome that she doesn't take any medication. Your deep dish pizza looks so yummy - my mouth is watering right now, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandma is a force to be reckoned with! Happy birthday to her!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't believe sunday is easter already. It feels like time is just flying.

    This seems like a great week in food for you guys!

    Happy BDAY to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious menu as always. So glad you tried the crock pot chicken idea, I just love that. We make it monthly around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ashamed to admit that it has been at least a year since we ate spinach :( I didn't grow any last year and we don't care enough for it to actually buy it. But we do love Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip, I am going to grow some this year just so I have a bit to make the dip with :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was really hard to narrow it down, but here are my 3 favorite Spinach recipes:

    http://scraphappychelsey.blogspot.com/2009/01/green-noodles-close-your-eyes-and-enjoy.html

    http://scraphappychelsey.blogspot.com/2010/02/spinach-cheddar-quiche-w-oatmeal-crust.html

    http://scraphappychelsey.blogspot.com/2010/02/spinach-ravioli-lasagna.html

    Cant wait to see what you come up with this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your inspirational grandma! Mine is 95 now and though she lives in an assisted living community, she dresses to the nines every day and still has her hair/nails done every week. I sure hope I inherited those genes!

    As always, your menu is loaded with tempting options. I'll be trying the baked oatmeal this week. It looks and sounds so darn good!

    We love adding spinach to our meals here too: stuffed shells, lasagna roll-ups, soups... In the summertime, I love making spinach salad with strawberries and feta.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those oatmeal muffins sound perfect for breakfast!

    I will make them next week for sure.

    :)

    Stop by and check out my menu plan over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks fantastic! Looks like you guys ate well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, Happy Birthday to your grandma!!!

    Second, your menu looks and sounds delish! Love that deep dish pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The recipes look delicious. Happy Birthday to your grandmother.

    You have some yummy meals planned.

    Just doing some blogging visiting today.

    Gotta get back to Law & Order on TNT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...